Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nope I don't walk my dog with a leash!!! Nor will I!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We found our one dog 7 years ago basically choking because someone tied a leash up in the woods to a large rock cliff thing that she could hardly touch the ground below her with her back legs (looked like she may have actually fell off the rock and couldn't get back up). She has been a awesome dog since but if you pull out a leash she cowards down. So after much trying in training classes to walk on a leash, we just trained her to be under voice control. It works well for us and where we live the law states that you must have you dog under reasonable control with or without a leash present. Many people though have acted like I am horrible for not putting a leash on her. She literally walks about a foot to the side of me unless I tell her to sit and stay somewhere or tell her to go behind me. I could grab her collar at any time if I wish. Is there anyone else that does this?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Replies (41-45):
ididntdoit111
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:15 AM

When I first saw this post I thought "i am gonna bitch at her for not thinking of her pups safety. Then I read WHY you don't use one.That poor sweet baby. Can you use a small piece of yarn? Then graduate to a thicker something until she learns that the leash is not a scary thing, just the bad people who leashed her before were bad? Leashes are not only to keep your pets from running off to annoy people but they keep your pets safe from cars stuff. (I'm sure you know this) I feel so bad for your dog....do they have any idea who left her tied up?

lga1965
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM

well, there IS a leash law in our county. Have you checked to see how they feel about dogs not being leashed in YOUR area? I know you feel bad for your dog  but if there is a leash law where you live  it is for your protection , others' protection and to avoid liability. Most Laws are there for a reason even if you don't think so.

I would never let my dog walk free, not  on a  leash. It is too dangerous.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Have you tried a harness?
I guess that's great if it's legal. It's illegal where I live tho. Some guy in our townhome complex got a slap on the wrist for taking his pup with him out to the big dumpster in the parking lot without a leash. He has a great Pyrenees/Great Dane, so even tho she's just a pup, she is HUGE &.apparently someone felt threatened. Which, imo is stupid. She's just a sweet, goofy thing. Lol
N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM
I'd say you're fine then:)

Quoting Anonymous: Not here. Animal control states they just must be under reasonable control with or without a leash. She wears harnesses and collars fine as long as you don't pull out a leash

Quoting N_maricle:

I understand her aversion, but you could be fined or even have the dog taken away if people call animal control on you. But hopefully people are understanding, especially if she's well behaved. Maybe you could get her used to a harness that goes around her chest instead of her nck.

GMom2011
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM
My dog hates black people too. Never abused. She has always lost her shit around them. Which is funny, considering she's black.

Quoting Mommy1438: No matter how wel u train a dog they can snap or run at any random moment. say they see a squirrel or go kart or something unexpected and run away or to it. Say a car backfires or squeals loudly and the dog bolts. I would never trust it. I had a dog that hated black ppl. She would walk fine w/o a leash but black person walk by? She would be looking all vicious pulling at the end of her leash choking herself to get to them. And before u say anything I'm not rasist my mom's black, lol. But she was abused in another hlme before she came to us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)