Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

That was the least fun egg hunt I've ever had!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

ETA:

Please be aware this was an at home hunt. I wasn't trying to belittle my child. I'm a "hard" person and don't have much of a filter, even IRL. I would never call my child dumb, ever. His actions, at the time, was dumb but I didn't mean to say that he was dumb, which I followed up with the word "oblivious" because I had a feeling some ladies would have a field day with that word.

Also, he had fun. My disdain had no baring on his level of fun. It was just a recipe for disaster on the mommy side of it. I was very tired, admittedly and grouchy but wasn't with him, it began to rain and there were still a lot of eggs to find and lastly, my parents were rushing us to get him ready to go (to a place without a time for attendance btw). I'm a good faker of happy. He thought I was having a blast with him and that's all I care about. It was his lack of situational awareness that bothered me. I know that sounds silly that an silly easter egg hunt would cause that much worry about it but as I just explained to a PP, situational awareness is the forefront of my career. Above all, situational awareness. If I'm not aware 100% of the time, I could be seriously injured, die or be caught off guard and attacked, so on and so forth. We all have irrational fears as parents for our children and this just happens to be one of them. It's all I could think about. What if he's behind in this aspect? How do I teach him to be better with it? How do I prevent this from becoming something that could hurt him (literally and figuratively) in the future? That's the things going through my head. So, even as trivial as it sounds to you, it's not to me and he had a BLAST. He's still raving about how much fun he had so it couldn't have been too bad.

To some who suggested he may have not been interested or may need glasses. Negative. He's had his eyes checked before because I thought the same thing when he did the "squinty face". Basically, it's his way of getting attention. He is a HUGE attention seeker, as he's an only child. He'll make this squishy, over dramatic face to make you see his in "deep thought". I guess it's what you call his "thinking face". lol The looking back and forth sounding in one spot was him "looking". In all reality, he just wanted me to tell him where the eggs were. My parents do EVERYTHING for him and spoil him rotten with that. It's something we butt heads about constantly. When he's over their home while I'm away for school and work, he doesn't have to lift a finger and he's used to it. I, on the other hand, believe children need to learn at a young age to become independent young people, to a certain extent. Allowing them to try new things, explore, get messy, etc. So, it was just all-in-all him just trying to get attention and make me tell him where they where and with it starting to rain and get cold, I kind of was just ready to get it over with, too so I gave it a little.

Lastly, to address the bedtime thing. When I say "refused", I'm saying he would NOT fall asleep. You can lead a horse to water but you're not going to force it to drink. That was the situation we had. He was EXCITED and I mean EXCITED!!!!!!!!! He's 5 1/2, he was in bed at his normal bedtime but wouldn't fall asleep.

I CHOOSE to stay in bed with him until he is asleep because I'm gone so much for work and school. Bedtime is our time, our cuddle time, our bonding time and he loves it and I love it. He falls asleep just fine without me present and I chose to stay in with him for a long period of time to try and get him to sleep but he just would NOT fall asleep. I had, had enough and left the room after an eternity (it felt like) and then he would keep trying to come out and peek. I was up studying and kept hearing his door open. Like I said, I can't force him to fall asleep. I could threaten until I was blue in the face and tell him to stay in his bed but making him fall asleep is beyond my scope of expertise in parenting.

So, that's that. I hope that clarified some things to everyone.

Now I see whyyy my DS never gets any eggs during egg hunts in public settings. I love him more than the Earth, Moon ad Stars but he is freaking dumb when it comes to looking for things.

OBLIVIOUS! He stood there with this silly look on his face, eyes squinched up and just looking back and forth standing in one place, going to places he's already been, not looking at things that are directly in front of him.

I basically had to point him in the direction of every flippin' egg. Sorry, that's not fun, imo because he's not even trying!!!

I think we need to work on critical thinking and enhancing his seeking skills!! Any ideas??

Lets add:

He refused to go to bed until 1am, got up at 8 and I didn't go to bed until 6 bc of school work and Easter prep. What a fun day this is gonna be!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Replies (181-183):
rgba
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:31 PM
And he'd probably been thinking about it for days!!

btw, I lay with my guy til he's asleep, too...

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, we definitely are :-)! This is true. I'm sure it was probably pretty overwhelming, too. He had something like 50 eggs to find so that's a lot of pressure, too.

Quoting rgba: Assuming you and grandma are his most important people, that's still a lot of pressure!!

Quoting Anonymous:

:-) poor babies!

It was just me and my mom watching.

Quoting rgba: My 5 year old couldn't find his, either. I think part of it is because everyone is watching them, so the pressure is too big!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 28 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:33 PM
I love the idea of glow bracelets at night. Brilliant!

Quoting Anonymous:

You know, that's a really good thought that I hadn't even considered!!! Maybe I can try (with great, great difficulty lol) and back off my "dialed in".

LOL WOW!! That's so cool. I think DS really liked what he got in his eggs this year. The Easter Bunny left some new stuff like Coupons to his favorite things. :-)

We did a night hunt, too. I put some glow bracelets in the eggs and hid them outside at night. That was THE BEST! I thought it was awesome.

Quoting Anonymous: Do you think his lack of situational awareness is because you are always dialed in? He doesn't need to develop that skill because e can rely on you for it?

Or maybe it's his age. When my son was 5 he was clueless too. He would see an egg, point it out to everyone, and then cry when 6 other kids pounced on it. Or he would pass by 100 eggs because they weren't the golden egg. Last year he lucked out and one of his eggs had a $25 sports authority gift card. I saw a completely different egg hunter this year!

Momsold
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Do you feel better?  None of what you wrote make sense.  At least you did your nonsensical rambling under your screen name though.  Most people who don't possess basic English skills hide under anon.

Quoting mommii1434: Well fir ine. Im not married lol and two critical thinking has nothing to do with the fact kids have no common sense? Do you feel better?
Quoting Momsold:

Most adults on this site, you included, haven't developed critical thinking.

That's why they're married to losers and complain about their children being stupid.

Quoting Anonymous: This is why i dont like children very much lol, they havent developed common sense yet and it annoys me lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN