Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I start Spanking?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies

Ok, I already spank for the bigger things so that not really my question.

My 10 year old is going through that "nobody can tell me what to do because I'm grown" stage. It...is...driving...me...NUTS!!!

She talks back, does things she knows she'll get in trouble for (then gets overly dramatic when she gets in trouble) and is just being an all around brat! 

Over the weekend I asked her to go in the refrigerator and throw away her leftovers she had put in there like 3 days before. She didn't want to.so I reminded her that she put it in there so it's her responsibility to take it out. She told me she has better things to do (what I have no idea). I told her if she didn't do it there would be a consequence after which she'll still have to do it, She got all huffy but went into the kitchen to do it. That's the last I thought of it until I went into the Kitchen to make dinner that evening and found that she also threw away other items that I had just bought the day before for dinner. When I confronted her about why she threw that stuff away she said "because I wanted to". I went and got my receipt and added up how much money she had thrown away. I made her get her piggy bank and count out the $36.17 and give it to me. She tossed the money at me and told me I must enjoy stealing from children o_O. I told her I wasn't stealing. She was paying to replace the stuff she threw away. She said whatever and stormed away.

So this morning I get the girls up for school. Her and my 8 year old were having some sort of arguement. I don't know exactly what it was about because I was changing my little one's diaper but they seemed to work it out on their own. Well, a few minutes later I hear my 6 year old say "I'm telling mommy on you" and she comes downstairs. Apparently my 10 year old put my 8 year olds toothbrush in the toilet! She said she did it because her sister was being a brat. I told her that when she gets home from school she'll be going into her piggy bank and giving her sister money to replace her toothbrush. She started crying having a tantrum saying how everyone hates her and no one wants her. I told her she needs to act like a big girl. I also reminded her that there are consequences for her actions and if she doesn't want consequences then she shouldn't do the things she does.

She said that she's going to tell her teacher on me then she will go live with her teacher. I said ok, you have fun with that. Then I brought them over to the school and didn't say another word about it.

I'm at my wits end with this child. I know that a lot of her attitudes are completely normal for her age but does it seem to you that she goes overboard? I'm wondering if there is more than puberty going on with her...

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Little late now to start spanking...she could then go to school and tell the teacher you beat her...cps will then be called..is that what you want?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Have you tried some professional help?

crystalplus1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I would try sticking her in a corner. Writing lines. And if those dont work i would start spanking. As long as she has no marks your good in most states, some even allow a mark, as long as its not purple and is gone in 20ish min.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Like I said in the forst line of my post, I techincally already do spank for the bigger things. The title was to get people to read the post. My actual question is at the bottom of the post...

Quoting Anonymous:

Little late now to start spanking...she could then go to school and tell the teacher you beat her...cps will then be called..is that what you want?

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Spanking might not work at that age.

You should start grounding her. Then she wont have better things to do cause her ass can sit on her bed and write sentences on how it's disrespectful to talk back to her parents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM

try some professional help

Quoting Anonymous:

Like I said in the forst line of my post, I techincally already do spank for the bigger things. The title was to get people to read the post. My actual question is at the bottom of the post...

Quoting Anonymous:

jmonroe65355
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this
She sounds like the kind of kid that would try to get you arrested for child abuse.
I would start by removing All privileges. No toys, no tv, no electronics. Make her earn those things back.
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

You use spanking to control your child, and now you're confused that she's rebelling and isn't making good choices on her own-curious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM
I have a boy of that age that acts like that.
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

LOL welcome to the "tweens", enjoy the ride!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)