Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

moms with young girls, is it just me, or?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is it just me or are little girl dresses all super short. 

DD is 3, 3T pants fit her just fine in length and she isnt super tall (cant remember her last height check # off the top of my head)

But every single 3T dress she owns hits at least 2-3 inches ABOVE her knee, even the "winter"/longsleeve ones. She has to wear leggings with all of them. Grandma just bought her a brand new dress, fits her around just perfect and the belt/sash/ribbon thing hits her torso in the perfect place, but again, SUPER SHORT (IMO) I have to buy her 4t dresses for any resembelence of length.

So, is it just me/us?

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
momof6nokc
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Gymboree, Land's End, Mini Boden all make dresses that are more appropriate in length.  When my DD was younger we put shorts or leggings under most everything.  Now that DD is 14 I am having the HARDEST time finding shorts that are appropriate!  I refuse to buy shorts that have pocket liners that hang out the bottom b/c the shorts are cut shorter than the pockets!!!  I think I solved part of the problem by going to thrift and consignment stores and finding cute jeans that fit, then taking them to the tailor and getting them cut and finished into more appropriate length shorts.  UGH

mommyofblueyes
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I always buy my daughters dresses 1-2 sizes bigger.  Shes in a 3-4T now, so I get 4-5T dresses. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM
My dd refuses to wear skirts or dresses. Before she started that, I bought little shorts to go under everything because she would show her undies if not. I never noticed a length problem, but I am very picky about where I shop. I refuse to let my seven year old look like a teenager.
mcsmom1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Just wait until she moves up to the 7-14 sizes!! Then it's almost impossible to find clothes that don't look like they were made for a stripper/hooker.

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
If anything they run a tad big. Crazy 8 is basically the cheaper version of Gymboree. Think old navy vs. Gap.

Also, if she's tall.... I buy xs (size 4) in tops for dd. They're a little longer than 4T :)

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting dawnnamarie: I buy everything for dd at either Gymboree or crazy 8, and length doesn't seem to be an issue

Another downside of living in the sticks, Ive never heard of crazy 8 and would have to shop online for Gymboree. Are they both true to size as far as width goes? Because I might have to check them out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I often think they are too short too. And I don't think brand matters, I mostly shop Gymboree as well and think their dresses are often too short. Here is a picture off the Gymboree website, too short in my opinion.

Fashionable Flavor

Lynette
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I buy all DD's shirts and dresses one size up if it looks okay for added length. Her jeans are always the size that match her age.
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM
By that age dh will probably want to dress her in a nuns habit anyway! Lol... I'm dreading those years for clothes!!

Quoting mcsmom1:

Just wait until she moves up to the 7-14 sizes!! Then it's almost impossible to find clothes that don't look like they were made for a stripper/hooker.

corticosteroid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Oh, you're not wrong there.

My three-year-old daughter wears a size 6x due to length issues (she's 3'10") and the fact that the kid clothing designers seem to think that toddlers have no shoulders.  Seriously.  I know my kid is an Amazon, but come ON people, you gotta give these kids some room to boogie.

MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

It's not just you! My 11-yr old is tall and thin, so dresses are even shorter. It makes her self-conscious because she towers over her classmates, and they make fun of her. She used to only wear dresses, but now she will only wear them with leggings under them and she will only wear shorts in the house, which sucks because we live in FL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)