Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

moms with young girls, is it just me, or?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is it just me or are little girl dresses all super short. 

DD is 3, 3T pants fit her just fine in length and she isnt super tall (cant remember her last height check # off the top of my head)

But every single 3T dress she owns hits at least 2-3 inches ABOVE her knee, even the "winter"/longsleeve ones. She has to wear leggings with all of them. Grandma just bought her a brand new dress, fits her around just perfect and the belt/sash/ribbon thing hits her torso in the perfect place, but again, SUPER SHORT (IMO) I have to buy her 4t dresses for any resembelence of length.

So, is it just me/us?

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Replies (41-50):
jakana2369
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Yep! It just gets worse the old they get. Dd#3 is 10yrs and isn't overly tall but has super long legs and I stopped getting her "normal" dresses and skirts. She wears maxi ones. Shorts are a whole nother issue. She wont wear the long ones and is very skinny as long as her butt isn't hanging out and her shirt dont go longer I have had to let that battle go.
Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I haven't noticed that. All the dresses I buy come down to their knees.

mitty75
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM

When I buy my girls dresses, I get them all at Burlington, length was appropriate (below knee)

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Any particular brand you've noticed?

Quoting mitty75:

When I buy my girls dresses, I get them all at Burlington, length was appropriate (below knee)

MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I don't understand why things are so short for that age range either! I won't let my DD wear sweatpants/shorts with sayings on the butt. 

Quoting momof6nokc:

Gymboree, Land's End, Mini Boden all make dresses that are more appropriate in length.  When my DD was younger we put shorts or leggings under most everything.  Now that DD is 14 I am having the HARDEST time finding shorts that are appropriate!  I refuse to buy shorts that have pocket liners that hang out the bottom b/c the shorts are cut shorter than the pockets!!!  I think I solved part of the problem by going to thrift and consignment stores and finding cute jeans that fit, then taking them to the tailor and getting them cut and finished into more appropriate length shorts.  UGH

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Went shopping this past weekend.  Every thing looks skimpy and trashy.  So hard to find girls clothing that looks decent.

BrittO2
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM

We have the same issue. DD is very tall for her age and super skinny so trying to get pants, shorts or dresses that fit is a time consuming task. Once we find a brand that works we try and stick with it. I love Childrens place and crazy 8. She wears a size medium or 7/8 in shirts just so they are long enough to not show her stomach when she raises her arms. I normally buy her dresses in at least a 7 or 8 even though she is 5. We are mainly sticking with maxis this summer so that she can make it through he whole summer and her shorts are the Bermuda length ones. 

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM
I saw a little girl at an indoor play place the other week, wearing sweats with writing... "Daddy's Girl"

O.o

Quoting MichLW69:

I don't understand why things are so short for that age range either! I won't let my DD wear sweatpants/shorts with sayings on the butt. 

Quoting momof6nokc:

Gymboree, Land's End, Mini Boden all make dresses that are more appropriate in length.  When my DD was younger we put shorts or leggings under most everything.  Now that DD is 14 I am having the HARDEST time finding shorts that are appropriate!  I refuse to buy shorts that have pocket liners that hang out the bottom b/c the shorts are cut shorter than the pockets!!!  I think I solved part of the problem by going to thrift and consignment stores and finding cute jeans that fit, then taking them to the tailor and getting them cut and finished into more appropriate length shorts.  UGH

MelissaBabeh14
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Dd3 wears 4T
MizzSuzy
by Hello Kitty on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Depends where you're buying them. Some are shirt but must of the ones I buy are appropriate and fit really good. I also have to buy a size big or bigger all the time, my dd is bigger
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)