Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gonna set my car on fire!! (longish and ranty)

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM
  • 14 Replies
So last night I picked dh up from work, and when we tried to leave the car wouldn't start. Lovely. Called a friend to give us a jump and came home. We think the battery crapped out because of the weird weather. It's under warranty, but the store was closed. Anyway, then our 15 month old was having a hard time sleeping. Dh was up with him for almost 2 hours, then I got up and slept with him in the recliner. Rough night, and we both brain farted about the car. Dh had to be at work at 8am, so we asked god-mil for a jump. I needed eggs but couldn't turn off the car, so we just stopped at a gas station. The car died as I was pulling out of the parking lot. Fuck. Asked a guy there if he'd give us a jump. He says his car is messed up but he'll go get his truck. We wait a bit and he never comes back. Wtf? Of all the lies, he picks that one? "Sorry, I gotta get to work" would have sufficed. So a very nice lady gave us a jump and I finally got dh to work. Now I'm exhausted and SO over this car bullshit. Happy Monday everybody! :/
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Hope it's just the battery! That really should cause the car to die. Sounds like alternator maybe? Hope you get it going today. Car troubles suck!
Amy_M
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

check the battery terminals.  Sometimes they need to be cleaned.  Check to see if they are rusted and use a wire brush to clean them.  

myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM
No idea, I'm not good with cars. It clicks when I try to start it, but the engine doesn't try to turn over. It runs normally once it's jumped though.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Hope it's just the battery! That really should cause the car to die. Sounds like alternator maybe? Hope you get it going today. Car troubles suck!
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM
The battery is new. We had to replace and repair a bunch of stuff like 6 months ago, so I don't think it's that. My dh knows more about it than I do though.

Quoting Amy_M:

check the battery terminals.  Sometimes they need to be cleaned.  Check to see if they are rusted and use a wire brush to clean them.  

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Hopefully it is just the battery

myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM
It's that or something due to the weather. We had a cold snap for 2 days after it being 80. Then it was humid as hell. The desert is rough on cars.

Quoting othermom:

Hopefully it is just the battery

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, do the battery first since it's under warranty. They'll check it & see if you got a bad one. If it's not that, it's probably the alternator. If your alternator is bad, the car will run for a short time when the battery is charged but it won't continue charging the battery so it will run the battery down & eventually the car dies.

Quoting myempyreofdirt: No idea, I'm not good with cars. It clicks when I try to start it, but the engine doesn't try to turn over. It runs normally once it's jumped though.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Hope it's just the battery! That really should cause the car to die. Sounds like alternator maybe? Hope you get it going today. Car troubles suck!
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM
I think we just replaced the alternator too. A bunch of things went wrong like 6 months ago and we had to have them fixed. It's a 1982, so this isn't exactly unexpected. Just irritating.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Well, do the battery first since it's under warranty. They'll check it & see if you got a bad one. If it's not that, it's probably the alternator. If your alternator is bad, the car will run for a short time when the battery is charged but it won't continue charging the battery so it will run the battery down & eventually the car dies.

Quoting myempyreofdirt: No idea, I'm not good with cars. It clicks when I try to start it, but the engine doesn't try to turn over. It runs normally once it's jumped though.

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM
The other thing you could check which is a super cheap & super easy fix is the connections. If they are bad, it will cause the intermittent problems you seem to be having. That actually happened on one of my cars & to replace the little connectors is like $5.

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I think we just replaced the alternator too. A bunch of things went wrong like 6 months ago and we had to have them fixed. It's a 1982, so this isn't exactly unexpected. Just irritating.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Well, do the battery first since it's under warranty. They'll check it & see if you got a bad one. If it's not that, it's probably the alternator. If your alternator is bad, the car will run for a short time when the battery is charged but it won't continue charging the battery so it will run the battery down & eventually the car dies.

myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM
You mean the little battery connecters? I can ask dh about that.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: The other thing you could check which is a super cheap & super easy fix is the connections. If they are bad, it will cause the intermittent problems you seem to be having. That actually happened on one of my cars & to replace the little connectors is like $5.

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I think we just replaced the alternator too. A bunch of things went wrong like 6 months ago and we had to have them fixed. It's a 1982, so this isn't exactly unexpected. Just irritating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN