Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Service animal misconceptions...A FAQ post -WARNING- Dogs.

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM
  • 107 Replies
6 moms liked this

Obviously this is one of my dog posts. So if you don't like it...hit that little arrow in the top left of your browser

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what a service dog can and can not do. 

1. Can I register my cat as a service animal? No. There is no such thing as a "service cat" or a "service monkey". Service animals are limited to Dogs and Mini horses (which is still kind of cool). 

2. I saw someone with a dog in a store but they didn't look blind. What's up with that? Service dogs can be used for everything from blindness to PTSD to Epilepsy. It is a common misconception that every service dog is a "seeing eye dog"

3.What breeds can be service dogs? All of them. It depends on the service that they are supposed to carry out. Common breeds are Labs, Golden Retrievers and German Shepherds, but Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers and Bully Breeds are becoming increasingly Popular as service dogs. 

4. I registered my dog as an Emotional Support animal...can I bring him into stores? No. The ADA does not recognize Emotional Support Animals as service animals.  However, you can keep him in your apartment even if there is a "no pets" policy as per the Fair Housing Act. Also service dogs are licensed by your city, not registered. 

5. Do I have to allow a service dog in my store? Yes. But if the dog is disruptive or appears untrained you have every right to ask the handler to remove the dog. 

6. Do I have to allow a service dog in my home? No. Just like you don't have to invite people to your home. Your home is private property, you can let whoever you want in there. 

7. I have allergies and someone at my job/school/church as a service dog. Can I make them leave the dog at home? No. According to the ADA "Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals."  But accommodations should be made to make both of your days as pleasant as possible. 

8. Service dogs never play with their owner. They are working all the time...Right? No.  Service dogs are still dogs. Most enjoy a game of fetch in the backyard or a leisurely walk around the park as much as the next dog. As soon as their vest or collar comes off, they are pretty indistinguishable from pet dogs, only better trained. 

9. How long does it take to train a service dog? It takes about 18 months - 2 years to train a service dog for most tasks. 

10. Can I pet them? Depends on where you are and if the handler allows it. Obviously petting a dog in the market is a bad idea, but if you are at a special event it could be appropriate.  The tupe of service the dog is providing is important too. 

Well there it is... Bash away anons, I know you are going to. I'm not going to read it.. but you are going to. 

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Why would anyone bash? Lol, you're just being informative. Thanks!
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Because the anons hate when I talk about dogs. Just you watch. They'll either bash here.  Or come to my next annoyed post complaining that I'm always "negative" because they never read any of the positive stuff.  Never fails LOL. 

Quoting Danesmommy1: Why would anyone bash? Lol, you're just being informative. Thanks!

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Maybe I dont pay close enough attention, but I have never seen you post about dogs. I love dogs and I think this is great information.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I think its sad you have to put a dog warning on your posts

They're nothing but informative
Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

My cousin has a  service dog as also  her is a pug !

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Omg what freak needs a warning on an informative post on Dogs?
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

That's cool. Bump!

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

All sorts of bozo's run rampant in here. Haven't you noticed?

Quoting Anonymous: Omg what freak needs a warning on an informative post on Dogs?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:12 PM
My only experience with this is when I was a server. The dog laid under the table and I never saw him, until I nearly stepped on his nose. Scared me to death.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM

She does post (or reply) about them a lot, but it's only because she's pretty knowledgeable and she loves her pups. =)

Thanks for the info! I was actually just wondering about a couple of these the other day!

Quoting Seagodess:

Maybe I dont pay close enough attention, but I have never seen you post about dogs. I love dogs and I think this is great information.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN