Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can kids drink too much water?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM
  • 11 Replies
Kiddos got new water bottles for Easter. They are tha medium sized camelbak ones and they've already emptied it once. I have the bigger bottles and drink 4-5 per day but I'm not sure how much the kids should get, if they can have too much?
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM
As long as they are drinking normal amounts ( not drinking it until they feel they are going to vomit) and urinating, you are good.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Anyone can drink too much water.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM
In theory yes you can but you need a ton of water above recommended amounts to actually flush your body of nutrients. Here's a link to calculate it roughly:
http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/

Basically weight times 2/3 is how many oz of water you need but also factor in activity level.
Cassie2115
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM
They are 5 & 3 and both around 35lbs so it would be 23 oz which would be like 1.5 of those bottles. My bottles are right around 25 oz.

Quoting Anonymous: In theory yes you can but you need a ton of water above recommended amounts to actually flush your body of nutrients. Here's a link to calculate it roughly:
http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/

Basically weight times 2/3 is how many oz of water you need but also factor in activity level.
Rhyinns.Mommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Yup but since they are active and outside sweating all their water out you have to compensate for that too. Signs of bein waterlogged are really clear, they will feel weak and if you push your finger into the skin and the white marks don't go away pretty fast they are getting too much. If you pinch the skin and it doesn't snap right back they are getting too little. As long as they don't drink water till they refuse to eat they should be okay. :)

Quoting Cassie2115: They are 5 & 3 and both around 35lbs so it would be 23 oz which would be like 1.5 of those bottles. My bottles are right around 25 oz.

Quoting Anonymous: In theory yes you can but you need a ton of water above recommended amounts to actually flush your body of nutrients. Here's a link to calculate it roughly:

Cassie2115
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Sweet. They see me drinking so much and since we have matching bottles now that's all they want lol. I'm okay with that. I hated water until I got preggo the first time so if they want to drink it I'll let them :)

Quoting Rhyinns.Mommy: Yup but since they are active and outside sweating all their water out you have to compensate for that too. Signs of bein waterlogged are really clear, they will feel weak and if you push your finger into the skin and the white marks don't go away pretty fast they are getting too much. If you pinch the skin and it doesn't snap right back they are getting too little. As long as they don't drink water till they refuse to eat they should be okay. :)

Quoting Cassie2115: They are 5 & 3 and both around 35lbs so it would be 23 oz which would be like 1.5 of those bottles. My bottles are right around 25 oz.

Rhyinns.Mommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Right!? I hated water as a kid. It was so unhealthy! My son seems to like the stuff so far but he clearly favors juice. :p stay healthy!! :)

(And I'm a CNA so I know random stuff about the water log and dehydration so I should really drink more water but I still don't like it:p )

Quoting Cassie2115: Sweet. They see me drinking so much and since we have matching bottles now that's all they want lol. I'm okay with that. I hated water until I got preggo the first time so if they want to drink it I'll let them :)

Quoting Rhyinns.Mommy: Yup but since they are active and outside sweating all their water out you have to compensate for that too. Signs of bein waterlogged are really clear, they will feel weak and if you push your finger into the skin and the white marks don't go away pretty fast they are getting too much. If you pinch the skin and it doesn't snap right back they are getting too little. As long as they don't drink water till they refuse to eat they should be okay. :)

EmilyH87
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

It is possible to overhydrate, but you'd have to drink A LOT of water and not be going to the bathroom for it to actually happen.

Cassie2115
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I'm picky about my water. Right now it has to be from a Brita pitchter lol. I went through an Aquafina stage and a Dasani. Right now I'm averaging 100oz per day (but I'm also breastfeeding).

Quoting Rhyinns.Mommy: Right!? I hated water as a kid. It was so unhealthy! My son seems to like the stuff so far but he clearly favors juice. :p stay healthy!! :) (And I'm a CNA so I know random stuff about the water log and dehydration so I should really drink more water but I still don't like it:p )
Quoting Cassie2115: Sweet. They see me drinking so much and since we have matching bottles now that's all they want lol. I'm okay with that. I hated water until I got preggo the first time so if they want to drink it I'll let them :)
Quoting Anonymous: In theory yes you can but you need a ton of water above recommended amounts to actually flush your body of nutrients. Here's a link to calculate it roughly: http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/ Basically weight times 2/3 is how many oz of water you need but also factor in activity level.

Rhyinns.Mommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Omg I'm the same! I had a phase with my first son where all I wanted was the arrowhead water! That's still my fav. I hate when people say it all tastes the same! I'm sorry but I swear it's different.

Quoting Cassie2115:

I'm picky about my water. Right now it has to be from a Brita pitchter lol. I went through an Aquafina stage and a Dasani. Right now I'm averaging 100oz per day (but I'm also breastfeeding).

Quoting Rhyinns.Mommy: Right!? I hated water as a kid. It was so unhealthy! My son seems to like the stuff so far but he clearly favors juice. :p stay healthy!! :)

(And I'm a CNA so I know random stuff about the water log and dehydration so I should really drink more water but I still don't like it:p )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)