Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Exactly how is this her business or her place?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 101 Replies

We are in the process of moving.  Our new house is in a different school district.  In the morning we drop my dd off at school and she catches the bus to our old house...(It is still our house).  Last week she left her backpack at the old house.  This morning we didn't have time to get it before I had a doctors appt.  I told her I would bring it by later.

I get there with her backpack about an hour after school started and find out the sub has assigned her detention for TODAY.  She is 11 in 5th grade and has never gotten in trouble.  There was no homework over the weekend.  The ONLY thing in her bag was a library book and her empty homework folder.

When the teacher gave dd detention my daughter told her that she couldn't do detention today because she had dance team practice for an upcoming competition.  The sub told her that she was in trouble for being irresponsible and wouldn't be allowed to attend competition.

NOT HER PLACE.  Detention was overboard.  This is a sub who has never subbed in the class before.  I am going to e-mail the teacher and let him know what happened.

UPDATE - I spoke to the principal who looked up my daughters points and saw that she didn't have any so therefore wasn't even due a detention.  He also stated that a backpack is not a reason for even a point.  According to the school handbook points are given for uniform infractions, not being prepared for class...pens, pencils, paper, homework (none of which dd was missing), misconduct in the cafeteria, misconduct in the hall, and a few other things.  Some things are automatic detention...disrespecting a teacher is one.

The principal called me back after school.  He spoke to the sub.  Apparently she felt that my dd was irresponsible in forgetting her backpack.  She forgot about the point system.  She said she did tell my dd that she SHOULDN'T be allowed to go to the dance competition...but not that she COULDN'T go.  I guess to a fifth grader it is all the same.  Anyway...no detention...no points.  The principal talked to my dd about the move and everything.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
907PickleMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM
What? Why did she get detention?
my2kids0506
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM
3 moms liked this
Um no I would be up at the school like now!
turtlesquish23
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM

detention because she forgot her backpack? that's crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 907PickleMom: What? Why did she get detention?

The note said because she wasn't prepared for the day...missing item...back pack.

She had pens, pencils, and paper.  No homework over the weekend.  I don't think it is a subs place to assign detention.  Leave a note for the teacher and let him deal with any issue. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Fifth grade is tough. They are preparing them for middle school, when their typical excuses won't matter.

You probably should have run over there sometime this weekend to get it. I wouldn't complain.

And, I'm pretty sure school trumps dance. If it doesn't, you might have bigger problems, IMO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I e-mailed the teacher and let him know what happened. 

Quoting my2kids0506: Um no I would be up at the school like now!

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM

wow! i think giving her a detention was a little bit too much..

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Talk to the principle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

The deal is...  There was nothing in her backpack she needed.  We were back and forth all weekend but forgot it.  AND...the SUB doesn't dictate what happens at home.  Detention is not school. 

Quoting Anonymous: Fifth grade is tough. They are preparing them for middle school, when their typical excuses won't matter. You probably should have run over there sometime this weekend to get it. I wouldn't complain. And, I'm pretty sure school trumps dance. If it doesn't, you might have bigger problems, IMO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Me too.  Especially given the fact that there was nothing she needed in the backpack before I got it to her. 

Quoting Jessy613:

wow! i think giving her a detention was a little bit too much..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)