Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Exactly how is this her business or her place?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We are in the process of moving.  Our new house is in a different school district.  In the morning we drop my dd off at school and she catches the bus to our old house...(It is still our house).  Last week she left her backpack at the old house.  This morning we didn't have time to get it before I had a doctors appt.  I told her I would bring it by later.

I get there with her backpack about an hour after school started and find out the sub has assigned her detention for TODAY.  She is 11 in 5th grade and has never gotten in trouble.  There was no homework over the weekend.  The ONLY thing in her bag was a library book and her empty homework folder.

When the teacher gave dd detention my daughter told her that she couldn't do detention today because she had dance team practice for an upcoming competition.  The sub told her that she was in trouble for being irresponsible and wouldn't be allowed to attend competition.

NOT HER PLACE.  Detention was overboard.  This is a sub who has never subbed in the class before.  I am going to e-mail the teacher and let him know what happened.

UPDATE - I spoke to the principal who looked up my daughters points and saw that she didn't have any so therefore wasn't even due a detention.  He also stated that a backpack is not a reason for even a point.  According to the school handbook points are given for uniform infractions, not being prepared for class...pens, pencils, paper, homework (none of which dd was missing), misconduct in the cafeteria, misconduct in the hall, and a few other things.  Some things are automatic detention...disrespecting a teacher is one.

The principal called me back after school.  He spoke to the sub.  Apparently she felt that my dd was irresponsible in forgetting her backpack.  She forgot about the point system.  She said she did tell my dd that she SHOULDN'T be allowed to go to the dance competition...but not that she COULDN'T go.  I guess to a fifth grader it is all the same.  Anyway...no detention...no points.  The principal talked to my dd about the move and everything.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Replies (101-101):
squeekers
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM

wow. glad it was settled safely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)