Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What dog breed should I get??

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 53 Replies
Hi all. I have had dogs my whole life. Our last dog just passed away 3 moths ago it was sudden, and very hard to cope with. We mourned for a few months, and the kids have been hinting at the idea of another dog. I have 2 sons. Ages 12 and 7. My older son is more mellow, like the cuddle up with your dog type of kid. The 7 yr old is the play fetch and wrestle around with your dog type I kid. So I need a breed that would fall under both categories. We were thinking of a different breed we never had before. Breeds we've had are beagle/Bassett mix. Jack Russell, Rottweiler, sharpei, beagle mutt (not sure what he was mixed with). I don't want to start controversy, but Pitts are out of the question. I was attacked as a child and I am terrified of them. I know not all Pitts are violent, but I can't be near one without hyperventilating. So I'm not trying to start anything, it's just a psychological issue with me and Pitts. Anyway. We have a backyard, not huge, but not tiny, we live in a house but one apartment of the house. 2 bedrooms but large living area. So what are your thoughts??
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Mini Dachshund! I use to have one and loved it. It was sweet and would cuddle with you and loved to play. She was a great dog!
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Geez... if those are my only choices I would go Rottie or none of the above.
mjmorrison
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

golden retriever, they love to do both.

MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd have to agree. My parents have a Dapple, and I love that darn dog. But pure bred Dachshunds are also prone to back issues. They just paid four thousand for a back surgery.

Quoting Anonymous: Mini Dachshund! I use to have one and loved it. It was sweet and would cuddle with you and loved to play. She was a great dog!
Hartbrayka
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Quoting mcginnisc: Geez... if those are my only choices I would go Rottie or none of the above.

No. I'm not asking to choose from what I wrote. Those were the ones we have had. Our rotator and beagle/Bassett and beagle mutt were the best ifs we've had. However. We like variety and would be up for a new breed
krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Golden retriever. Thats what were getting. Easy to train will be mellow and playfull. Were excited. Though, we do need to get a fense first
kdgord
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM
We have a border collie mix and he is awesome. My parents had a border collie/black lab cross that was also amazing. I prefer border collie mixes personally. Medium sized dogs that tend to be very loyal.
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM

lab...sis has a black lab, we had a chocolate lab as kids. best family dogs imo

MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Oh! My friend has a labrador, retriever mix. No, wait. He's lazy as hell.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM
I would go with a mixed breed. We have a boxer/lab mix that is the best dog in the world. She plays with the kids and loves to cuddle and even lets them use her as a pillow. She smart and very obedient. But any dog can be that way with the right training and pack mentality.
I will say dachshunds and very stubborn when it comes to potty training in my experience.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)