Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Open letter from a School Admin

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 180 Replies
30 moms liked this

Dear Parents,

Your school admins may not TELL you this, but I will....

1.) Yes, we sent you the information.  Multiple times in multiple ways.  We also have an online school calender showing EVERY event for the year.  If you forgot about an event, a field trip, or grading day, it's NOT because we did not send the information to you. We have 900 students.  When 899 of them got the message that school was closed, assume the problem is YOU, not us.

2.) I understand your child has dietary needs, but when we hold an event where lunch is provided and your student can not eat that lunch, PACK THEM A LUNCH!  We can accommodate SOME, but not ALL of your child's dietary needs.  If you are Jewish and it's Passover and we're serving sandwiches, clearly you need to pack a lunch that suits your child.  We say this in our communications with you.  Please do not send nasty emails after the fact accusing us of not respecting your religion or that we are trying to kill your student because we had packets of mayo with a sandwich.

3.) Deadlines exist for a reason.  When we are planning field trips we have to inform the folks where we are going as to how many students will be attending so that THEY can be prepared, we also have to schedule buses, bus drivers, and chaperones for these events.  I'm sorry that you forgot about this field trip (see number one) but if Suzi "REALLY, REALLY wanted to go!" we needed her permission slip and money two weeks ago.  We can NOT accommodate last-minute participants because we have been planning this two-hour field trip for four weeks.  We have scheduled buses, bus drivers, parent volunteers, arranged for tours, and paid for the field trip.  Yes, we know Suzi is ONLY ONE KID, but there are 15 other Suzis and we simply can not add that many students last minute.

4.) If you say you are going to volunteer, SHOW UP!  Yes, we understand emergencies.  Yes, we know things happen.  But we DO rely on you. If you have volunteered for a field trip, we count on you so we can have the proper number of adults per students for said outing. 

5.) No, we did not let Sam call you for the 14th time today.  We can handle a twisted ankle, a headache, a tummy ache and every other reason Sam is avoiding math class today.  TRUST US- we WILL call you if it's needed, but YOU are not helping us if you run to school every time Sam calls because his head hurts.  You don't need to be your child's personal assistant throughout the day and PLEASE stop dropping everything multiple time a day to ferry something else to the school that he "REALLY, REALLY needs!" 

6.) We have ZERO control over teachers' due dates, assignments, curriculum, bathroom breaks, or anything else related to classroom management. If you have an issue with a teacher, take it up with that teacher.  Screaming at us in the front office will do nothing productive.

7.) We have a policy on showing your ID before you enter the building or pick up your child.  Period.  If you forgot your wallet at home, we will be here until you return with your ID.  This is for your child's safety. No amount of arguing is going to change that and if you get belligerent about it, expect us to call the cops.

8.)  Along those same lines, if you have a court order, we need it.  And you need to make sure that WE know about it.  We have 900 students.  We can not be expected to know that dad showed up to pick Sally up on a weekend that was not his.  We will enforce CO's and call you if there is an issue, BUT we have to know what's going on for this to happen.  And no, your child can not tell us....you have to.  As far as we are concerned and until otherwise notified, biological parents have rights to pick their children up. 

9.) If something your child tells you seems unbelievable, it probably IS.  The chances that your child talked through lunch break and did not eat are FAR greater than us not allowing your child to eat.  The chances that your child splashed water and played around during a bathroom break are FAR greater than US not allowing your child a bathroom break.  Before writing a nasty email accusing us of starving children or not allowing bathroom breaks, ASK us what happened.  A good way to start that communication is, "I just wanted to check in on a situation that concerned me today.  Can you shed light on (insert concern here.)"

10.) We make mistakes.  Be kind, be gentle, and treat us with the same respect you'd want to be treated.  We ARE sorry that we did not follow your IEP to the letter and we appreciate feedback from you, but NOT when it comes in form of scathing emails or berating phone calls designed to tell us how incompetent we are.  If there is a chronic issue, address it with the principal.  Otherwise, cut us a little slack and for the love of God, be professional in your communications with us.

In closing, we take our jobs VERY seriously.  You trust us with your children and we respect that.  We never aim to intentionally hurt your children and CERTAINLY never aim to piss you off.  On average, we make about $15,000 per year and WE are the first line of defense protecting this school and by extension your child.  Please remember that before you shoot off the next email telling us what a "worthless piece of shit" we are. 

Sincerely,

Your School Admin

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Bump

catcameback
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

These aren't obvious things to people?

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Whoa. That is quite a school you work at.
Parents really act like that? :-/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM
5 moms liked this

I have heard school secretaries called names I wouldn't use on my ex-husband. There is no way those front office people make enough money for the abuse they receive.

cymkare
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Schools were not meant to raise children and parents need to take responsibility and make their children take it as well. 

jesusyangela
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Its amazing the lack of manners people have. believe me I'm one of those over ptotective moms with helicopter like tendencies ( I'm working on that) but parents and teachers have to be on the same side
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM
10 moms liked this
Have you read some of the posts in this group? Some people will blame everyone else within a 50 mile radius rather than admitting the possibility that they or their child screwed up.

Quoting catcameback:

WinterIsComing
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Quoting numonestunar: Whoa. That is quite a school you work at.
Parents really act like that? :-/
catcameback
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM

lol true.

Quoting Bethsunshine: Have you read some of the posts in this group? Some people will blame everyone else within a 50 mile radius rather than admitting the possibility that they or their child screwed up.
Quoting catcameback:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Yes.  All. The. Time. 

It's astonishing.

Quoting numonestunar: Whoa. That is quite a school you work at. Parents really act like that? :-/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)