Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone have a Yorkie?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  • 25 Replies

What size collar and harness do you use on them? I'm not sure if I should by a small or extra small we aren't picking up our puppy till Thursday but I wanted to get everything before we get the puppy.but I'm not sure on the size 

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutumnLove14
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:14 PM
How big is it? My yorkie was very small and nothing fit plus most anything would have been too heavy.

I'm assuming if it's through a breeder the pup is no younger than 5 almsot 6 months. You may be able to do a cat collar.
Anonymously3
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:40 PM

She is 9 weeks so she is still a baby I'm worry about not having a harness or anything on her for when we take her for walks I don't want her to be able to slip out.i will look at cat collars thanks

Quoting AutumnLove14: How big is it? My yorkie was very small and nothing fit plus most anything would have been too heavy. I'm assuming if it's through a breeder the pup is no younger than 5 almsot 6 months. You may be able to do a cat collar.

AutumnLove14
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:42 PM
That's crazy she's being let go so early! Omg have you had one that young before?

I suggest no collar and no walks for now.

Also get nutrical, a syringe and chicken baby food , maybe some a/d wet dog food if you have it where you live. Did the said breeder explain every two hours for feeding at that age?

Quoting Anonymously3:

She is 9 weeks so she is still a baby I'm worry about not having a harness or anything on her for when we take her for walks I don't want her to be able to slip out.i will look at cat collars thanks

Quoting AutumnLove14: How big is it? My yorkie was very small and nothing fit plus most anything would have been too heavy.

I'm assuming if it's through a breeder the pup is no younger than 5 almsot 6 months. You may be able to do a cat collar.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM

As a puppy just get x-small.  Mine is a bigger Yorkie and now wears a small, but he's 12 pounds and 3 years old.  I see the previous poster is suggesting every 2 hour feedings....My husband is a vet tech.  We have never had a puppy older than 10 weeks, and they eat a good quality puppy food on a 3x per day schedule.  

uhhnogirl
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM
One of mine needed a cat collar, the other needed a medium. Lol.
AutumnLove14
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Mine weighed 3 ounces at 8 weeks and 8 ounces at 6 months. Hypoglycemia in small dogs is a terrible thing. Yorkies also do not have the will to live like other dogs. I'm suprised so many of you have them with small children. If we had a child our breeder wouldn't have sold to us. We didn't choose to have a baby until he died.

Quoting Anonymous:

As a puppy just get x-small.  Mine is a bigger Yorkie and now wears a small, but he's 12 pounds and 3 years old.  I see the previous poster is suggesting every 2 hour feedings....My husband is a vet tech.  We have never had a puppy older than 10 weeks, and they eat a good quality puppy food on a 3x per day schedule.  

daisyb
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:54 PM

My yorkie/chi is 11 & she has Never wore a collar b/c she Hates them.. you should probably get a Harness instead- a collar is really heavy on their Little Necks- Lots of Luck with your new puppy:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:58 PM
When I got my jack Russell corgi mix she was 8 weeks old and tiny so I actually got her an xsmall cat collar that had a bell on it so no matter what I always would know where she was at.
Lindsey1126
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:01 PM
I put a cat collar with a bell on my yorkie and she has a xs harness that looks like a dress. She has a few outfits too and they are also xs.
carrollq21
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:20 PM
I don't think you can take them out at that young. I have a yorkie as well as a dog that's half yorkie. The half yorkie we got at 4 weeks old and your not suppose to get a dog until 6weeks. I had to feed her a powder milk every 4 hours to ween her from her mother. Then after her vet check ah would eat some dry food. They only eat 2 times a day. My full yorkie was only suppose to be 5 pounds but someone lied because she's 10 lol so now her collar just fits. I'd wait to buy one until you can actually bring her out. Congrats on your new addition, they are adorable dogs
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN