Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes, it IS her name!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 168 Replies
2 moms liked this
Today we were out at the park and one of the mom's there asked our 7yo daughter her name. When she told her her name the mom said to me "you did not really name her THAT!". I then had to give her a quick biblical name lesson (edit--- I told her that it was a Biblical name and that Noah is both masculine and feminine with different meanings, THAT was the extent of my explanation). I also told her that just because a name is typically used for boys does not mean that it is ONLY a male name.

Her name is Noah Grace.

Edit--this is not the explanation that I gave to the woman at the park, it is strictly just for this post.

It is male and female name in the bible with the Hebrew pronunciation of the male Noah being different than the pronunciation of the female Noah (which is said more like the English version of the male form of Noah). Noah was one of the five daughters of Zelophehad, who went to the leaders of the nation of Israel and got the law changed so that they could inherit their father's land. It is not just a male name. The female version of Noah means Motion, it has an entirely different meaning than the male form of Noah which is Comfort.

Edit- this was the first time that anyone has had a reaction to my daughter's name, many people actually know females with the name Noah or Noa and aren't shocked by my daughter's name.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:11 AM
10 moms liked this
Seems like an attention seeking thing to do to me. I'm coining a new phrase munchin mama. For all mom who give their child a name to bring attention to themselves. Get it?
Anonymous

I see nothing wrong with it. In a world where a woman can be named Kim or Kelly, why not Noah?

Anonymous
3 moms liked this
And yet no one is really ever going to associate it. Poor kid's gonna have a hard time with that name.....Good job dumbass.
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:12 AM
9 moms liked this

Sounds like you just wanted your daughter to be speshul.

rebeccarae
by Bec on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:15 AM
9 moms liked this
Better teach her that story because she's going to have to explain it A LOT.
the_dude
by abides on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:16 AM
11 moms liked this
I have a close friend with a daughter named Bradley... spelled just like that.

The woman is trying to educate, be it what it may. She can name the kid Jefferson starship is she so chooses. At least she put thought and meaning to her child's name. The fact of the matter is you're totally off base...

Get it?

Quoting Anonymous: Seems like an attention seeking thing to do to me. I'm coining a new phrase munchin mama. For all mom who give their child a name to bring attention to themselves. Get it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:16 AM
2 moms liked this
For all the attention seeking anons I am going to call them MunchinAnons, get it?

For people who's opinions are idiotic and have no value. Get it?

Quoting Anonymous: Seems like an attention seeking thing to do to me. I'm coining a new phrase munchin mama. For all mom who give their child a name to bring attention to themselves. Get it?
krissy920
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:16 AM
2 moms liked this

i think   she is going to have a hard time most of her life with that name, reguardless of where it came from. Im pretty sure you  knew this when you named her.. and loved the name so much anyways it didnt matter. So  dont be surprised when  people react funny to you naming her that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:17 AM
2 moms liked this
We didn't give her a name that is spelled incorrectly. We gave her a name that is Biblical. Her brothers are Ezekiel James and Jeshua Avraham and her sisters are Dvorah Miriam and Lilith Eve.

Quoting Sparklepants747:

Sounds like you just wanted your daughter to be speshul. 

booaura
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Some names can be unisex, but some names just don't sound female, even if at some point they did or were. I'm all for naming your kids what you want, I myself have a very unusual name (Aurabella) but calling a girl Noah is a like calling a boy Sarah. Unfair and cruel.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)