Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let you child play with a friend knowing they were sexually abused?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 85 Replies
I do not let dd to play with her friend anymore because was sexually abused by her grandfather. The reason is she told all the girls at dd sleepover party the sexual details about it. So I had to call all the moms and explain what happen. I was mortified! My kids have had the "talk" but I had to explain in more detail about sexual abuse. The family of the abused girl called me one day and talked me what had happen to her . They asked me to not exclude her from my dd life. And I didn't until this happened. I just cannot allow this girl back in my home. I feel horrible about it but she clearly needs help. She has been abused and now lost a friend but I have to worry about my kids. Would you do the same thing ??
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChunkyMonkey25
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:23 AM
Depends on the age of the children and the relationship I have with the family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:24 AM
Poor kid probably just needed to talk about it. Does her family have her in counseling? I dont think I would exclude her depending on how old my child was I would'explain what happend to her and I wouldnt allow them to be alone. And no more sleep overs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Age 10. No relationship with the family at all. The kids were friends from school.

Quoting ChunkyMonkey25: Depends on the age of the children and the relationship I have with the family.
aurorarosepsych
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

this

Quoting ChunkyMonkey25: Depends on the age of the children and the relationship I have with the family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Yes she is in counseling.

Quoting Anonymous: Poor kid probably just needed to talk about it. Does her family have her in counseling? I dont think I would exclude her depending on how old my child was I would'explain what happend to her and I wouldnt allow them to be alone. And no more sleep overs.
lasombrs
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:25 AM
She was probably looking for support from her friends about it :(
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:26 AM
16 moms liked this
I would use the situation as a valuable teaching opportunity about inappropriate touching, and how to be a real friend.

I don't agree with blocking her from your kids life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:27 AM
Yes I agree. I just can't have her talking about all the details and scaring all the kids. I feel bad.

Quoting lasombrs: She was probably looking for support from her friends about it :(
aurorarosepsych
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:27 AM

At 10 I dont think I would have done it only because I would have just explained more to my kids about the situation, the fact though that there was never any relationship to the family I would then say that if and when they got her into counseling I would reconsider.  If you had a relationship then I would have tried.  The girl needs to not feel stranger than she already does, and 10 is plenty old enough in most cases about this.

Quoting Anonymous: Age 10. No relationship with the family at all. The kids were friends from school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:28 AM
I am torn up about it. I did use it as a teaching moment. But my kids were freaked out.

Quoting lnrmom: I would use the situation as a valuable teaching opportunity about inappropriate touching, and how to be a real friend.

I don't agree with blocking her from your kids life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN