Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you ever caught someone in a lie?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this

How to Tell Whether He’s Lying & Cheating – It Worked for Me!

by The Stir Bloggers

how to tell if your man's lying

It's crazy how being in a relationship with a person we don't trust can turn us into a low-rent version of Sherlock Holmes. Micro expressions could be the key to figuring out if your man is cheating. The only problem? They are almost impossible to detect. But you can find them -- I certainly did.

On the surface, my ex-boyfriend was a dream. He was the kind of guy your dad would clap on the shoulder upon meeting, liking him instantly. He made my mom giggle like a schoolgirl. And my mom? So not the giggly type. Even my girlfriends were in his thrall. Me? Well, for the first year we were together, I just felt so lucky that this charismatic, secure, hunky dude picked me that I never thought to second guess his intentions.

A year into our relationship, once I was on steady ground in terms of his feelings for me (or so I thought), I began noticing things. It was nothing major, not one thing I could point to, but the mood around us changed. We were living together at the time, and there were days when it felt like I was sleeping with a stranger. Eye contact isn't for everyone, sure, but my guy treated every warm smile I tossed his way like it was something awkward -- he wouldn't look me in the eye. When he did manage to, he'd chew his lip and cock his head, and sometimes he'd sniff. It was strange. It had me worried.

I got the unsettling feeling that he was wearing a mask. We would eat dinner and I'd look up to find him frowning. Was it something I'd done?  I'd ask him what was wrong and he'd blink rapidly almost like there was something stuck in his eye. "Nothing, I'm fine," he'd say.

I'm a pretty open person, and I don't think I gave him any reason to be fearful around me -- but that's how he was acting. I tried talking to him about it, but not in a direct way. Most of the time I came across sounding like an insecure girl, and I hated being made to feel that way. His weird behavior around me only made that feeling worse.

It was the blinking that actually did us in. No, I don't have insane, blinking standards or anything. I just noticed it more and more. "Hey, how was your day?" I'd ask. "Oh, boring," he'd say, blinking like he was trying to send me a code. I actually suggested he go to the eye doctor -- I though he had legitimately overly-dry eyes. Because I'm an idiot.

One night when he got home and darted straight off to bed, I sat down and opened my computer. I took a breath and typed: "Boyfriend blinks rapidly when I ask him questions." I'm embarrassed that I did it, but not embarrassed with the results.

The crazy-girlfriend Google search led me to the term "micro expressions." If you aren't familiar, micro expressions are the tiny flickers the face makes that indicate a person is uncomfortable or stressed out. The big way of spotting them? Look for asymmetrical movements, like a quick twitch of the lip. Another big reveal: the eyes. Blinking more than usual? Very common -- and very telling.

If you want a guy to confess that he's been sleeping with a married friend of yours for the entire duration of your relationship, wake him out of a dead sleep and start yelling at him about micro expressions. It worked a treat. The bottled-up fear that something was wrong certainly didn't hurt either.

Since then (in addition to licking my wounds) I've been fascinated by body language. There's the obvious stuff, and then the deeper stuff like micro expressions that tell so much more about us than we even realize. Bottom line: When your gut tells you something's up, something probably is.

Have you ever caught someone in a lie?

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GamerMomma2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes. My exH. But the fact that him and my girl cousin both had glitter on their faces didn't help their case.

imakehimscream
by He screams on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Yes I have. Dh can't really lie anymore because he has tells.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Only if what I'm being told is a logical impossibility.  I suck at reading normal body language.  I don't think I could ever figure out the whole microexpression thing.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha this

Quoting imakehimscream: Yes I have. Dh can't really lie anymore because he has tells.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM
3 moms liked this
My parents and one entire side of my family are pathological liars. That is not an exaggeration. I am a human lie detector. Can't get much past me. :(
Marinemom03
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:55 AM
My ex.he constantly lied and I wouldn't find out til it was so bad I looked stupid
That's why my so and I have a major rule..no lies neither of us will put up with it. Its a deal breaker
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM
I caught my dh in a stupid,completely unnecessary lie. He went to put new tires on my car and then called me to tell me they only had two in stock,instead of four. My gut told me something was off,so I called the tire place and they told me he refused two of the tires he'd ordered. Turns out he didn't want yo spend the money,he had something else he wanted to buy. Why he couldn't just tell me that is a mystery. But when I confronted him, he got offended that I'd check up on him. Doofus.
LadyVoldemort
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:40 AM

yes I have but it wasn't an ex, and people still believe this douchebag even thought the evidence of the lie is overwhelming

1stpreggers
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Yes I had a friend who was a pathological liar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I have an ASD, I have trouble with the more obvious verbal cues. This won't work for me lol

I don't look at faces often, and usually only at the mouth.

I do, however, often get a sense of when someone is lying. People act strangely when they lie.

I have caught many people in a lie, but rarely confronted them; it's not worth the effort in most cases. Liars tend to act like rabid animals when they're exposed.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN