Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you let others discipline your kids?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM
  • 85 Replies
3 moms liked this

We were over at my aunt's house earlier today. She gets migraines. I was putting the babies down for a nap and my six year old was downstairs with my aunt and my grandmother, who was visiting. A woman who lives down the road was over dropping something off. She also has a six year old son. My son had just gotten out of school so he was a little wound up, he was running around being noisy. My aunt called him over and said "Abel, you know that I don't allow running in the house, please walk and do not yell."

He said okay and sat down to wait for me to come down since I had the book her was reading in my bag. I came downstairs and the woman said "just so you know, she's bossing your kid around." I asked what happened, she told me, and I said "well he better have listened" and my son said "I did" and I gave him his book. She said "I just thought you should know, I would never let someone else talk to my kid like that, that's my job. Besides, he's six, she can't honestly expect him to not run and be noisy, he's a kid." I told her I didn't care if she told him what to do if he was misbehaving, and I don't. I think it takes a village to raise a child. If someone asks my child to knock it off, they are entirely expected to knock it off. They are not too good to be spoken to face to face, they don't need me as an in between. 

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM
Anyone is welcome to holler at him, especially if he's deserving. No touching.
CMay2CK
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM
I agree with the situation. You weren't in the room. I don't allow others to parent my child when I am there, though.
Clishmaclaver
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM
A total stranger, no. Friends/family, absolutely! It takes a village.... ;)
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I would expect her to say the same thing to him if I was in the room, no reason why she can't speak directly to him.

Quoting CMay2CK: I agree with the situation. You weren't in the room. I don't allow others to parent my child when I am there, though.

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM
I don't mind people that care about them and want the best for them to discipline. They know to listen to those in charge and to respect adults. I would not let some stranger talk harshly or in language that we don't find appropriate.
MaryJarrett
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM
In that situation, yes, absolutely.

For me, it has to be someone I know and trust.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm okay if it's a stranger. Once Abel was playing outside, he was with a group of friends, they were hitting a fence with a stick to make noises and someone told them to cut it out, so they did, no big deal.

Quoting Clishmaclaver: A total stranger, no. Friends/family, absolutely! It takes a village.... ;)

mommybear91
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM
No! No one is allowed to hit my kids but dh and I. They can yell or give lecture if need be but no hitting. (and by hitting I mean spanking)
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Who said anything about hitting? I'm talking about giving them a talking to and having them stop.

Quoting mommybear91: No! No one is allowed to hit my kids but dh and I. They can yell or give lecture if need be but no hitting. (and by hitting I mean spanking)

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM

stranger no, family yes. Hitting/touching/grabbing/etc her absolutely not by anyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)