Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't think it's appropriate... I've never considered her SN! A bit long.....

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM
  • 24 Replies
My dd has some delays.... Nothing crazy... Basically after all the testing and everything, she qualifies for speech therapy with a speech iep for school, and nothing else as far as ieps...

The school psychologist said there is no diagnosis for her, she's just working at her own pace and it would be helpful to basically just imagine her birthday was 8 months to year after it really was... I think SNs comes with a diagnosis,.. Not just doing things in your own time... So I've never considered her anything except a slightly immature 6 year old...

Today we had the meeting with the adapted PE teacher, and the occupational therapist so they could formally tell me dd doesn't qualify for services and she tested at an average range...

And then the adapted PE teacher gave me a flier for a soccer program to help further dds physical capabilities, she tested average but the teacher noticed some awkwardness and thinks it would be helpful...

except the soccer program is for SN children..... Specifically......

I didn't even notice until I got home... I used the back of the flier to make notes for their other suggestions....

She also suggested gymnastics so I think were gonna go with that this summer.... But the soccer thing just through me for a loop.... She did peewee soccer twice at 3 and 4.....

I just wish I had noticed it while there so I could ask why she thought that program was a good idea... Maybe I'll call tomorrow and ask... Or just forget about it since we're doing gymnastics....

But it's not just me right? That's weird, right? All of the testing says she isn't SN, but she specifically recommended a program for SN children??

Or maybe the speech thing qualifies her And I'm just placing too much importance on diagnosis...

But we've never thought of her or referred to her as special needs so it's weird having it suggested...

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM
DS has a speech related IEP and I've never considered him SN.
zombieskayer
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Usually if your child has a therapist or an IEP they do offer the SN children stuff. Just because needing the therapist means your child has a special need as the name special needs children. My brother had the same thing your daughter does. Sometimes its better for them to go into the SN child program just to show that they don't really need it. With stuff like this it involves alot of trail and error.

RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM
It's good I'm not the only one... :)

Quoting Danesmommy1: DS has a speech related IEP and I've never considered him SN.
lilmom71
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM

They have different levels of special needs children.

VintageWife
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Special needs doesn't just mean mentally. She has special needs physically from what they said.
RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Obviously... I didn't say otherwise...

But she's been tested through every program... We were given a report that says she has no diagnosis for anything.... She just started talking late...

Quoting lilmom71:

They have different levels of special needs children.

JakobsMom03
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

SNs generally means she has specific needs that need special consideration. That soccer program might be good for her, because those running it will take her delays into consideration. She'll get the physical advantage, and have understanding adults not ruining the experience.

RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:56 PM
No, she tested in the average range (upper a
Movement was even above average) and does not qualify for any iep for physical problems...

The teacher just noticed a little awkwardness...

Quoting VintageWife: Special needs doesn't just mean mentally. She has special needs physically from what they said.
wldbry-magnolia
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:58 PM

I would think its not that she's SN, it's so she has the time to learn a bit more coordination. If she signs up for a "normal" team, she will be behind all the other kids, physically , going through SN teams gives her specialized coordination work. ( especially if the pe teacher is one of the coaches")

aheasley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My youngest has speech delays and dyslexia. He has never been labeled sn. although he has an iep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN