Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Our 6 Most Shocking Relationship Habits Revealed

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this

Our 6 Most Shocking Relationship Habits Revealed (INFOGRAPHIC)

by Adriana Velez

relationship graphicHow confused are we when it comes to our relationships? Well, according to this infographic on Americans' Weird Habits, we're more in love with our phones than each other, we're sleeping with cats and dogs, and we don't know when we're on a date. Oh wait -- I forgot the part about how we all have assigned seating in our homes. Are we really this messed up about our love lives?

1. Given the choice between life without a cellphone or life without sex, 26 percent of us would keep the phone, and 20 percent of us would keep the sex. Well ... that's not a huge difference. I'm a little sad for the people who would choose their phones, but mostly I'm grateful we don't actually have to choose between the two.

2. But what's this about 44 percent of us sleeping with our phones? Like actually in the bed with us? Or maybe just under the pillow where we left them after finishing that one last play in Words With Friends? Not that I would know anything about that.

3. And 58 percent of us sleep with a dog or a cat? Where does that leave significant others? Oh, right ...

4. More and more of us are living alone these days, more than one in four of us.

5. And no wonder, because apparently we don't even know how to date. Supposedly 69 percent of singles are unsure whether an outing with someone they like is actually, like, a date date or just hanging out.

6. As for having assigned seats in our living rooms, well, that's probably good for our relationships because it keeps disputes down. Right? Unless that's totally bizarre, too. Actually, now that I think about it ...

If you take all of these little factoids, if you believe them, and create a composite person, you have a loner-type who doesn't know how to have a relationship. Someone who probably isn't too keen on eye contact because they're constantly staring at their phone. And someone who's a bit inflexible about sharing space with others.

But obviously we're not all this weird. People go on real dates all the time, and we're fully aware that it's a date. We learn how to compromise, even about our favorite chair. And if you think about it, dogs fit at the foot of the bed just fine, and "sleeping" with your phone usually means keeping it next to you on the bedside table.

So maybe all of these little factoids are true on some level -- but I don't think they show us the whole picture of how relationship-ready we all are. We're not quite as hopeless as all that.

weird american habits infographic

Do these "weird habits" ring true to you, or do they just seem weird out of context?

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Our dog sleeps at the foot of our bed. Plenty of room for DH, the dog and me. The rest are not true for us.

drowningmama
by vendetta on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

We do none of this.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM

We have assigned seats in our living room and dinning room, didn't know that would screw up our marriage... oh wait.

We manage to have the cats and ourselves in the bed all at the same time...

Who thinks up these polls to begin with, I mean, REALLY!

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I hate how phones and tablets have taken over so many people. You cant even have dinner with someone anymore without them texting other people.

We went out to dinner last night and I saw a old couple in another table both glued to their own tablet. They never said a word to each other. I told DH I never want to be like that. No phones at the table.

We do keep our phones on our night stand, but I want to hear it if someone calls because of an emergancy and its one of my alarm clocks.

Our dog sleeps in bed with us sometimes, but always at the foot or on the edge. Its DS that gets between us. Oh and we would pick sex over phones every time.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM

The part about whether they are on a date or hanging out surprises me. 

Is there anyone who doesn't have "her/his" seat in the living room?  I know that every one of us sits in exactly the same place every time. 

No animals in the bed. Yuck. 

ActionMaverick
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM
My dog was bed snatched by son, then my daughter, then back to my son. Lucky little thing, she has choice bed rights.

And giving up sex or phone. I think I would eventually learn to live without a phone but no sex? OMG.
TS9509
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM
My dog starts out in the bed with us but within the first hour he's on his dog bed or in the recliner. We have a king size bed but sleep extremely close to each other and my dog weighs less than 10 pounds so everyone has room lol. The others don't apply to us.
rachellaree20
by Rachel on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM

None of that is true for me but some is true for my fiance.  It irritates the hell out of me if we're out on a date night together and he's playing a game or doing other things on his phone instead of having a conversation with me but I've talked to him about it and he's working to change those habits.

My phone is pretty basic compared to some people's phones. I can call, text and take pictures (but not send them to anyone) but I can't use the internet or play games.  It does have an alarm clock and a calculator on it though...exciting.

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
The only one we have is the assigned seats, even so it's not really ASSIGNED but we all usually sit in the same spots.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

No one in my home owns a cell so that one doesn't apply. The cat sleeps on my feet so obviously there is still room for my husband. We have seats in the living room that we each prefer but nothing is set in Sheldon Cooper stone lol. As for dating I just asked him what he wanted and told him how I felt as well, we've always been good at communication. So I guess we're good over here ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN