Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT: We were told not to aid my 16 year pregnant niece

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 242 Replies
13 moms liked this

My sister in law informed me that my 16 year old niece is 20 weeks pregnant and she wants to keep the baby. She wont even think about adoption. My sister in law acknowledges that is her choice but her and her husband has informed all of the family that they do not want any of the family helping her with money, food, a place to live, or anything. Their reasoning is because she says that she wants to grow up and have this baby now then she is ready to take the responsibility. I do not know how I feel about this.  she called me today asking if she could borrow 20$ because her and her boyfriend were living in the car and they did not have any food. I guess she knows I am the weakest link in the family. I hate seeing people suffer.  I am so torn on what to do . I want to give her the money so bad but if i do this and my husband finds out then I am not sure how he will take it. I feel like I am damned if i do and i am not sure if I could live with myself if I don't. Some advice..please.

EDIT: I wanted to put your minds at ease so you guys wouldnt think me and my DH wasnt letting a pregnant teenager starve. My DH just pulled up for lunch with her (not her bf ) in his pickup truck. She is staying with us. He feels the same way I do. This is our niece, we cant throw her out on the streets. He is talking to his sister today and letting her know she is here, lol...... I feel relieved. Updated quick I know.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
907PickleMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM
9 moms liked this
Refer her to a shelter and where she can apply for housing, legal aid for emancipation, food stamps etc.
articmom
by IceQueen on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM
3 moms liked this
Omg feed her ! I am such a sap I would probably give her a hotel for a night so she can shower and get some rest and then get her into social services for assistance.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
So her "parents" want to try to force her to adoption? Or am I reading this wrong?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Once you give them money, you're starting a never ending cycle. The most I would do is help them apply for services.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM
20 moms liked this

I think you should talk to your husband about how it's not right to leave a pregnant 16 year old HOMELESS, and take her in.

That's what I would do. And the rest of the family can disown me if they want, they'll be regretting it later, once you & your niece & her baby have a healthy relationship and she's hating the rest of them. IMO it would be worth it to help her regardless of what the rest think

nopenope666
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Yup.

Quoting 907PickleMom: Refer her to a shelter and where she can apply for housing, legal aid for emancipation, food stamps etc.
ZoeCY
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I would say screw the parents, but then again I am all for helping people out whenever they need it.  She at least needs someone to show that they love her, it's not like this is going to be an easy thing for her whether people are helping her out financially or not.  

Malissa1578
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I have to agree with your SIL. 

Do not give her the money. If you are unsure of how your husband would be about it, then don't risk the upheaval in your life. The girl needs to learn responsibility and if she wanted to play in the adult world and be grown up she has to face the consequences of her actions.  Its a sad situation for a 16 year old to put herself in, but she was old enough to know better and as the saying goes "too young to care". 

Malissa

http://tbm4u.blogspot.com/

My artwork. 

"When you put faith, hope and love together, you can raise positive kids in a negative world."  Zig Ziglar

MsEmma88
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Sorry im a big softie. How would you feel if your entirefamily abandoned you just because you got knocked up? She is still a teen and pregnant or not teens still need guidance
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Help them apply for assistance, take them to a shelter, and I'd probably buy them some food. No more than that.

When she decided to act like an adult, she should have realized that there could be adult consequences. My parents told me the same thing, so I didn't get pregnant as a teen. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)