Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this an okay grocery budget?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM
  • 28 Replies

So DF and I are moving in with my mom from may-sept (maybe longer) right now we are living with DFs parents.

Anyway at my moms I am going to be doing all the grocery shopping and cooking.

My problem is I don't know what a good buget is.

There will be 9 of us living here, but there is often 2-4 extras as well. Some friends, some staff (I have 2 disabled siblings)but many times some of my teenage sisters don't eat so it could be less.

My mom was thinking around $250 per week (so $1000) a month, do you think that can be done? I want to try and come in as under as I can, I just don't know how realistic it is. We have a costco membership so we can buy things in bulk. Please ingore my ignorance about bugets and such, I am used to cooking and shopping for 4 people, but I don't shop on a regular basis.

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drowningmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:45 PM
For 9 people. I think that would be tight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:46 PM

That's going to depend on your local cost of living as well.

If you focus on bulk meals, I think it can be done most places.  Always have rice, beans, pasta, tortillas, etc around for stretching a meal.  Go for cheaper cuts of meat and cook them longer and slower to make them tender.  Buy the big cheese cubes on sale, then cube, shred, and freeze for later use.  Little tricks like that can help.

ambermario4ever
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM

we are a family of four. my budget is $200 a week and i shop at bjs which is llike costco. i do not always spend my whole budget. but i normally spend at least $150 a week for four so you may want to up your budget a little bit for nine poeple. 

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Its hard because its usually not 9. My sisters are all teenagers (besides one whose 8) so my one sister and her boyfriend sometimes eat, and my 2 other sisters hardly ever eat dinner. And my mom doesn't really eat all the time either. Its just a big mess lol.

Quoting drowningmama: For 9 people. I think that would be tight

Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:50 PM
For 9 people that would be tight, i remember growing up my mom spent 2500$ for 14 people and she had a meal plan for the month, cooked big portions and made a lot of caseroles and bread, jelly, pasta she made that herself so it was good on the budget, she got big stock of meat from a farm that sold it at a good price in big quantity.
So you can make it happen :) just gotta be resourceful
jackierc80
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM
I have a family of five and we spend 215-240 every 2 weeks
mich2.0
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM

It depends on what you make, really. I spend $225 a week on 4 people. 

caustinb
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Aren't you in Canada? I don't know much about your prices, but I bet if you plan well you can do it.
bellydancer1984
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM

i know a family who has 11 kids and their grocery bill is around 900 a month!! it is possible but i would need to get some tips from them to pull it off!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I just spent $167.00 for five of us, and will need to make another trip his week for more fresh fruits, berries and veggies.  I spend around $1000 a month, and we eat a lot of vegetarian meals so not much meat,  but that does include toiletries, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)