Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I WILL NOT USE BOOKS AS A PUNISHMENT!!*Update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies
I've been having serious behavior problems with DD lately. At my whits end, I decided to gather every in her room except her bed, dresser, clothes, one stuffed bear, and her books. I warned DH what I was doing. When DH got home he asked why I left her books. I told him I will not use books as a punishment. I want her to want to read, not resent books because they were used against her as a form of punishment. Needless to say we fought about it. He still thinks I need to take them away.

Who is the one in the wrong here?

*Update*

To answer a few questions.

1. DD is 4.

2. She loves to look at the pictures and make up her own stories since she technically cannot read the actual words.

3. I read her a bedtime story every night , unless she falls asleep before she gets into bed, or she goes to bed very late.

4. Her behavior has been either completely ignore what she's being told or refuse to do what she's told. As well as massive temper tantrums when she does not get what she wants.

5. No other punishments bave worked, including spankings.

DH and I sat down and talked about this issue. We agreed to remove all books that had music or sounds, interactive books, and any books that could double as toys. She got to pick 3 books to have per evening, 5 for each day on the weekends as long as they are not play with type books. The books would be returned to us at bedtime, unless she behaved the whole day. She will have to earn every thing Back through good behavior no fits and listening.

Thank you ladies for all of your input!!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM

i'd leave the books as well

cybcm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM
I agree with you. I believe books are a need, not a want.
Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM
3 moms liked this
Punishment means no enjoyment. Snatch the books.
heydooney
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd leave a couple. Nonfiction.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM
I have taken books away from my dd. Whatever works. Currently dd doesn't have any books in her room.
orchardmoma
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I never took away sports, food, books as punishments.

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd leave the books as well just because I think most kids need to spend more time reading.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I lost my books when I was being punished. I still love to read. Just made me behave better because I wanted my books back.

Lennyloves
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I'd leave the book unless they start to get thrown around.  Then I'd move them out into a common space and they will be available to read. There would be no other activities allowed except for outside play and reading, creative play and crafts.

Kitty_Myrick
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Well you could always get her biographies of the presidents lol.  No really leave the books. 

cat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)