Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Grandparent's rights should exist and be enforceable.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 634 Replies

My sister emailed my parents 4 months ago and said she was cutting off contact with them, and that the kids would have no contact with them either until they were 18 and old enough to decide to (they're 8 and 18 months). 

My parent's crime? My sister and her husbands are atheists and my mom and dad told her they wanted to get the kids Baptized, because it would mean a lot to them as Christians. My sister said no way, and my mom, in the heat of the moment, said she was wrong, they'd go to hell, and that as their grandma she'd "do anything in my power to stop that, even if it means taking them to do it myself". My dad chimed in and agreed, saying that they have a role in the kid's faiths too, and that they'd ensure they "had a fighting chance", and that he and my mom felt they failed at raising her since she had turned her back on the faith.

My sister flipped and kicked them out of her house, even though they were supposed to sleep over and had nowhere to stay. She sent that email the next day. She hasn't called them and they haven't seen the kids in 4 months, when it used to be twice weekly. They're devastated and sick over it. We ALL know they were 100% wrong in what they said, but it was during a passionate argument and they regret it more than anything.

They have no recourse. There are no grandparent's rights, even though they were an enriching prescence in their grandchildren's live, and they are amazing grandparents. This whole ordeal has made me think grandparent's rights should exist. They should have the right to see the grandchildren they've loved for years, and not have a whole relationship stripped away because of one fight.

What do you think? I'm interested in hearing all sides, but no bashing please. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM
52 moms liked this
Uh no they shouldn't.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM
3 moms liked this

You have posted this before.

cxoxo
by Savannahsmommy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM

agreed

Quoting thefiregoddess: Uh no they shouldn't.

julie515
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM
No. Just no.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM
50 moms liked this
Uh. No.

And your parents were out of line. Your sister is free to react how she wants to.

Their recourse is to apologize and earn back your sisters trust.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Nope
joshsgirl12
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm sorry but they shouldn't
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM
4 moms liked this
Fuck. You. That is all.
StephMosDef
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:44 PM
8 moms liked this

Nope. Grandparents wayyyyyyyy overstepped. They need to do some serious ass kissing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Anyone care to elaborate why...?

Obviously in cases of abuse, no they shouldn't. But in the case of a difference of opinion? Denying everyone involved that relationship? Doesn't sit right with me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN