Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Grandparent's rights should exist and be enforceable.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sister emailed my parents 4 months ago and said she was cutting off contact with them, and that the kids would have no contact with them either until they were 18 and old enough to decide to (they're 8 and 18 months). 

My parent's crime? My sister and her husbands are atheists and my mom and dad told her they wanted to get the kids Baptized, because it would mean a lot to them as Christians. My sister said no way, and my mom, in the heat of the moment, said she was wrong, they'd go to hell, and that as their grandma she'd "do anything in my power to stop that, even if it means taking them to do it myself". My dad chimed in and agreed, saying that they have a role in the kid's faiths too, and that they'd ensure they "had a fighting chance", and that he and my mom felt they failed at raising her since she had turned her back on the faith.

My sister flipped and kicked them out of her house, even though they were supposed to sleep over and had nowhere to stay. She sent that email the next day. She hasn't called them and they haven't seen the kids in 4 months, when it used to be twice weekly. They're devastated and sick over it. We ALL know they were 100% wrong in what they said, but it was during a passionate argument and they regret it more than anything.

They have no recourse. There are no grandparent's rights, even though they were an enriching prescence in their grandchildren's live, and they are amazing grandparents. This whole ordeal has made me think grandparent's rights should exist. They should have the right to see the grandchildren they've loved for years, and not have a whole relationship stripped away because of one fight.

What do you think? I'm interested in hearing all sides, but no bashing please. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
Justine1993
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM
This

Quoting thefiregoddess: Uh no they shouldn't.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM
14 moms liked this
And what if mom thinks grandparents excessive religiosity is harmful?
What if mom and dad decide grandparents are abusive?

Why do you assume people who say they will forcibly baptize children that are not their own are 'awesome?'

Quoting Anonymous:

I think they should have grandparent's rights, and should get to see the kids on a regular basis.  Its about the kids not their mom.. its THEIR grandparents.

Why should the kids miss out on an awesome relationship because mom is bitch?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Yea I agree with your sister is tell them to gtfo too and I wouldn't let their crazy asses around my kids if they can't respect my decisions
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Actually, if they have rights, you probably wouldn't even be able to move out of state. Letting grandparents have right (aside from rare, special circumstances) will just open a nasty can of worms everybody will regret.

Quoting bfountain:

No they shouldn't have rights.  No one will tell me who i have to let in my childrens lives.  My dh's parents have not seen our dd since she was a year old and if they started letting grandparents have rights them 2 would do it just to get at us.  They are mean controlling people.  And if that happened i sure would move so darn fast out of the state.

MommyO2-6631
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM
7 moms liked this
Umm no. The last thing I need is my parents undermining my authority. And my MIL would take me to court for overnight visitation because I don't want my 22 month old away overnight yet. Our parents had their chance to raise us. Now it's our turn to raise our children the way we believe they should be raised. Grandparents rights would take away from our parental rights greatly IMO.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM
20 moms liked this
This is just fucked up.

Quoting Anonymous: Why didn't they just baptize them herself in privacy without the parents knowing. Even in the catholic faith there is a way to do it yourself. This way they would feel the children were protected and the parents wouldn't have had to be bothered with it.. It's sprinkling water.. It means nothing.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM
4 moms liked this

I said this the last time you posted about this... No, your parents should not have any rights, parents should always have the final say in dictating who is or isn't allowed around THEIR child.

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM
3 moms liked this
I think your sis is right. Your parents insulted her and her DH and threatened to have a ritual preformed on her children she disapproved with. This is no different than telling a Jehovah's Witness you're going to vax their kid. Your parents threatened to undermine your sisters beliefs because their beliefs are more important. Giving them grandparent rights would give them a legal right to interfere in her parenting and infringe on her religious freedom.
ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM
4 moms liked this

So your mother told your sister that her kids would go to hell and she would baptize them behind her back, meaning she has no respect for your sister or her husband...

I fully agree with your sister. I don't care what the topic, if you can't respect my wishes why would I dare allow you are my child? So you can teach them to disrespect me as well...

lovehimforever
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM
No. They should not. The whole idea of grandparents rights is asinine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN