Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Grandparent's rights should exist and be enforceable.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sister emailed my parents 4 months ago and said she was cutting off contact with them, and that the kids would have no contact with them either until they were 18 and old enough to decide to (they're 8 and 18 months). 

My parent's crime? My sister and her husbands are atheists and my mom and dad told her they wanted to get the kids Baptized, because it would mean a lot to them as Christians. My sister said no way, and my mom, in the heat of the moment, said she was wrong, they'd go to hell, and that as their grandma she'd "do anything in my power to stop that, even if it means taking them to do it myself". My dad chimed in and agreed, saying that they have a role in the kid's faiths too, and that they'd ensure they "had a fighting chance", and that he and my mom felt they failed at raising her since she had turned her back on the faith.

My sister flipped and kicked them out of her house, even though they were supposed to sleep over and had nowhere to stay. She sent that email the next day. She hasn't called them and they haven't seen the kids in 4 months, when it used to be twice weekly. They're devastated and sick over it. We ALL know they were 100% wrong in what they said, but it was during a passionate argument and they regret it more than anything.

They have no recourse. There are no grandparent's rights, even though they were an enriching prescence in their grandchildren's live, and they are amazing grandparents. This whole ordeal has made me think grandparent's rights should exist. They should have the right to see the grandchildren they've loved for years, and not have a whole relationship stripped away because of one fight.

What do you think? I'm interested in hearing all sides, but no bashing please. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Replies (631-634):
NurseRapunzel
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I'm sorry but I am in complete agreement with what your sister did.  How she raises her children and whom she allows or doesn't allow around them is no ones business unless she is abusive.  

4Dragons
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I disagree. And honestly, I do not blame your sister one bit. If someone threatened to do something to my children I did not want or agree with, damn straight I wouldn't let my kids be around them after that.

amantonacci
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Well aren't you just a typical judgmental bitch.... You're words and judgments of other people not in the Christian faith is a large part of the reason Christianity has such a negative stigma associated with it.

Quoting mom2precious1:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mom2precious1:

I think they did the right thing, personally.  The most important thing in life is to have faith and believe that Jesus died for our sins so they can have everlasting life after death.  Your parents were right to be so upset, and I don't think they were wrong.  Also, I would look into what else she is doing as a parent, is she the best person to raise the children? I do not agree with athiest and it sickens me that someone would raise their children like that.  If you don't care about faith and you want to burn in hell for eternity, fine but don't take your kids down with you.  If they are so confident about their lack of beliefs then they shouldn't care if the kids are exposed to Christianity, if athiest is so great, then they can choose later.  Grandparents play a vital role in raising children and teaching the meaning of life and it's truly terrible that your sister can not see that.  It takes a villiage to raise a child and children should be exposed to many different walks of life to have a complete upbringing.  Hopefully your sister will have a change of heart and disreguard all the negative remarks, some people are just lost in this world.  Have faith! Give it to God and let Him work through it with you.  Also, we often forget that childhood is only a small part of ones life, maybe after they are of age, they will find all of you and you can lead by example the right way to a life of faith.  Good luck and God Bless!!!

WTF?!? you really believe this shit huh

Yep, I absolutely do, and if you want to talk shit, let's do it but have the guts to put your name on it next time.  I really don't care if you don't have faith, you're the one that will be burning in hell for eternity not me.  

AminahA
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:06 AM

That's nice to hear and wonderful for your family and children.  In regards to this situation, these Grandparents obviously feel a sense of entilement only perpetuated through seeing the children so much and making such a big investment of their own time.  If I were the daughter and son-in-law in this instance I would look to take a step back and try to change this dynamic.  This way at least, the children are not estranged from thier Grandparents and perhaps they can find a healthy balance.

Quoting momto2boys973:
Quoting AminahA:

I know you feel bad for your parents but you have to understand that they essentially ganged up on your sister threatening to have the child baptised against her wishes.  Your Dad stating that he has a role in the childs faith is way, way, way out of line-that role is reserved for parents ONLY.  In all fairness to your parents I think seeing the child twice a week has probably created this feeling of entitlement in them.  I don't think it's healthy.  I think your sister should have a family dinner here and there, visits at the park or mall but twice a week on a regular basis is too much and leads to just these types of issues.

And don't forget your sisters husband who as the father of the child seems to have been completely looked over by your parents.  That's awefully disrespectfull and would lead any parent to take a serious step back. 

Both my parents and my in laws see my kids at least once a week and neither of them would ever feel so entitled and be so disrespectful of my choices, even if they disagree with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)