Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE: I am being sued for a foreclosure on a home I never owned

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
UPDATE: we spoke with an attorney. Basically, i have no responsibility in the payments and cannot be held liable. They also looked at the power of attorney and realized it was fraudulent and misused. We will have to hire an attornwy in Florida to get representation for this.

Thank you all!

First, l start with the fact that I have a legal appt this afternoon. But I do not know what questions to ask.

My husband signed as a consigner to his parents several years ago, before we were ever married. Apparently, his parents have defaulted, but didnt tell my husband. Well, yesterday, someone rang the doorbell and served both my husband and I. We are both named as defendants, along with his parents. Can they sue me since it was before we were married? I just don't know what to ask as I have never been through anything like this.

Any friendly advice is appreciated!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Yes they can, it became a joint debt when you married him.
askmommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:46 AM
I think it depends on the state.
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:48 AM
The lender didn't contact your husband when they stopped paying their mortgage?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Only in joint property states which most are not any more.

Quoting Anonymous: Yes they can, it became a joint debt when you married him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:50 AM
What state are you in?
baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:51 AM
I believe so since the home became marital property when y'all got married. (Most homes do regardless of which partner owned the home first). You *might* be able to fight it but I wouldn't get your hopes up. It really depends on your state laws though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:52 AM
In most cases, yes. It became virtually a joint debt when you married him. Same way a spouse can be sued over a house that is solely in the other spouse's name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:53 AM
If your state is joint property, I believe they can.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:55 AM
You need to ask specifically about protecting your own credit etc. since you had ZERO knowledge of the debt. How old are his parents? They didn't tell him?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
In no state is it legal for them to sur you since the debt occurred prior to your marriage. What state are you in and I can pull up the laws. Take them with you to the lawyers office and have him/her communicate with the bank. If they push it threaten to report them to the FTC and any other government or consumer agency you can.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN