Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Were you always exposed to other races?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM
  • 180 Replies
Another post, and my reply has me thinking.

The first time I saw a black person up close and personal was in 5th grade. My teacher. I remember I couldn't stop staring at her. And I remember thinking she must be like the people on Good Times (yes I am old) and I felt sorry for her because I thought she was poor. Soon after, my middle school was part of a busing program and we were completely integrated. I was so drawn to the different culture. The way they talked and acted. Totally different from what I had known.

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM
We're I live it's a good mixture of different races. Not many Asians though.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM

The first time I talked to a black person I was a junior in high school. I was a senior the first time I ever saw a mixed couple. :/ I grew up in the 70's maybe that was the reason. Once in college I was able to meet and relate to a whole diverse group of awesomeness!!!!!

Photo: -Randi.

RalphsMommy123
by Single Mom Tee on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Ive been exposed to different races all my life. I have white family members. I lived next door to puerto ricans. When I lived in NY, my neighbors were Ukrainian. Its weird when people say that haven't seen a *insert race here* person until they were like 10. How is that even possible?
curvygurl1912
by Renee on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

We grew up around diversity from a very young age.

nopenope666
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Yes? My town was predominantly white, but my parents were a bi racial couple.
TrouserMouse
Even though my dad is blatantly racist, he had black friends. He thought they were sign exception to the "insert any racial slur you can think off".

I grew up thinking a black man was my uncle and didn't know the difference and never questioned it. I call him uncle to this day.

Black people were really the only different race or ethnicity I was exposed to. I only knew one family of Hispanic people and I didn't know any Jewish people. There was one adopted Asian girl in my high school that I remember. I had one friend that was from Pakistan.
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM
I grew up in a completely white town.
nopenope666
Thats what i was thinking! Lol so weird

Quoting RalphsMommy123: Ive been exposed to different races all my life. I have white family members. I lived next door to puerto ricans. When I lived in NY, my neighbors were Ukrainian. Its weird when people say that haven't seen a *insert race here* person until they were like 10. How is that even possible?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Yes practically from birth. Same with my son.
TrouserMouse
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this
A biracial couple or an interracial couple?

Quoting nopenope666: Yes? My town was predominantly white, but my parents were a bi racial couple.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)