Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who makes major decisions for your kids, you or your spouse?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 199 Replies
3 moms liked this
In a perfect world, spouses would agree with each other over everything, or, worst case scenario be able to always find a compromise that both parties can live with.

But, what happens when you and your spouse disagree and can't find a compromise, whether it be over major decisions like education, medical care or religion, or smaller things like discipline, and every day decisions, for your kids?

Does your spouse simply trust you to make the right decisions for your kids, or vice versa? Do you discuss every decision?

In our home, I tend to make all major decisions for my kids. We may talk about it, sometimes, but I generally have final say in everything having to do with them, from discipline, to their education and extracurriculars, to medical decisions, to religious and parenting decisions. He simply trusts me to make good decisions because he knows that one, I love them and want the best for them, and two, I spend a lot of time and effort researching everything, and weighing the pros and cons of each option. He's aware that his opinion would generally be an uneducated, unresearched one, and mine will be fairly educated with sources to back them up. We've never had a major disagreement concerning any important decisions.

On the flip side, he makes all financial decisions for our family for the same reasons. He is very educated and good at financial management and things like stocks, bonds, taxes and investments, and I know nothing about those types of things. I trust him to make sound decisions for our family.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM
3 moms liked this
I do. He doesn't care to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:08 PM

i am sahm so the day to day stuff is me but if it comes to school and medical its both

MinglingMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM
8 moms liked this

We always compromise. Even when we don't agree, we still find a compromise.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM
This

Quoting Anonymous: I do. He doesn't care to.
LoveVenus
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM
4 moms liked this

I do 98% of the time.Every once  in a while he'l put his 2 cents in lol

goodygumdrops
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Honestly, we've never really disagreed with any major decision concerning our kids.  

There's only one time where he made a major decision without my input and that was having our youngest get emergency surgery.  I was on my way to the hospital from work and he they couldn't wait.  And the only time I can remember where we didn't agree on raising children, was when our oldest was very young.  I was a high strung first time mom and very, very over protective.  

_abeauty92
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
We do it together .
If we can't agree we compromise and meet in the middle .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM
We've never really compromised on anything have gone to do with the kids. Mainly because he just trusts what I decide.

Quoting MinglingMom:

We always compromise. Even when we don't agree, we still find a compromise.

Kriskash25
by Kristina on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Same as you. I take care of him, the kids and the house and he takes care of me and the finances.

curvygurl1912
by Renee on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM
My ex dh and I make all the big decisions jointly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN