Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Aunt basically said that my son was slow/stupid

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM
  • 188 Replies
I'm a tad bit perturbed.

Easter Sunday Df, Ds and myself when over my cousins house for dinner. The only reason I went was because my mother was going and my favorite cousin would be there. Plus, my cousins and aunt haven't met my fiance or my son yet.
Well, my older cousin has a daughter named Sidney and she's adorable, around 3-4 years old and speaks extremely well. She's a little spoiled but he and his wife didn't think they could have kids so they treat her like the world revolves around her.
I thought the whole day went great.

Until...

My favorite cousin called to say that her grandma (my aunt) said that my son (who isn't even 2 yet) can't speak as well as her grand daughter (Sidney). She said that Sidney knew her ABCs, colors, and could speak in complete sentences by the age of two.
So my cousin told her off and eventually hung up on her.
I'm hurt. Not only because that's my son and she's family, but to me she didn't even spend any time with my son to know what he's capable off.

Don't know how to handle it.

** my favorite cousin is my younger cousin and she tells me everything, we talk often, so there was no malice behind her letting me know.
She's not the little girls mother
And my son is reaching all of his milestones, knows his body parts, animals and etc... he was just shy.
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't let it get to you hun, my son is two and won't say anything lol he can but he just doesn't want to and i know he's not slow or stupid.
And your son isn't either, their kid is theirs and yours will learn at his own pace.
It really suck when family say mean things about your kid but i just learned to not let it get to me.
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Fuck her. No need for negativity. I hate people like that. I'd simply have nothing to do with her.
couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you baby.
It just pissed me off because
a.) Its not a competition
b.) My son is extremely bright and she didn't take the time to even see what he knows.
But yes, that is her grandchild so I get it, but why put down a baby to make a child look superior

Quoting Lilith23: Don't let it get to you hun, my son is two and won't say anything lol he can but he just doesn't want to and i know he's not slow or stupid.
And your son isn't either, their kid is theirs and yours will learn at his own pace.
It really suck when family say mean things about your kid but i just learned to not let it get to me.
couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Exactly!
Lol I said the same thing. My grandmother, which is her 1st cousin and bff... said that my aunt never even commented on my son after she met him

Quoting LyTe684: Fuck her. No need for negativity. I hate people like that. I'd simply have nothing to do with her.
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Handle it? You don't need to do anything. They think their kid was more advanced as the age your kid is...that's it.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Well that was rude of her
couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM
I probably won't bring my son around her anymore

Quoting spooky415: Handle it? You don't need to do anything. They think their kid was more advanced as the age your kid is...that's it.
couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Right!

Quoting TiffanyRose06: Well that was rude of her
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Eh ignore it.  It doesn't seem like you see her that often to even let it bother you. 

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM
You say nothing, don't fuel the fire she is trying to start. My daughter couldn't speak until some time after her second birthday. She is extremely smart, and talks and writes very well. My friends son was almost three before anyone but her could understand him, and does very well in school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN