Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should Schools Ban Purses and Backpacks?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  • 271 Replies

I just read an article about a teen girl who got in trouble for bringing a purse with tampons to school when the school clearly banned all handbags and backpacks. Do you think it's a smart idea to band purse and backpacks or do you think it causes more trouble than worth. 

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chiefsfan91
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Thats dumb. My high school only allowed backpacks in lockers. No bags came to class. A few schools here only allow clear backpacks.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM
28 moms liked this

Only if they give every student a locker and enough time to get to their locker, and use the bathroom between classes. So instead of the 3-5 minutes they normally get they should get at least 10 minutes. 

PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Banning them from being carried around the hallways, yes I can understand the ban. Like the schools do here, the bags remain in the lockers until time to go home.  Tampons she could get from the school nurse, or, she could give them to the nurse to hold for her if she wants to bring her own.  

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Some schools I can understand. Thankfully i didn't go to one that had to go to that extreme
LyTe684
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM
5 moms liked this
Well. That's stupid.
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM
That is stupid. I did go to a school where they asked you to have a clear or mesh backpack though.
krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM
4 moms liked this
No thats stupid. How are you supposed to lug arround the 10+ 20# books? Serously some of my hs books i weighed and they were that heavy. I NEVER used my locker because itnwas tiny and at the opposite end of the school from all my classes. I used my band locker because i had every other or every 2 other classes there.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM
14 moms liked this

Well how do they carry everything they need then?  My kids have to carry their bags all day beause there is no way to get to lockers and get clear across campus to their classes in 3mins between classes. 

Also they are required to carry ID's, lunch cards etc. and possibly licenses if they drive.  Girls need to carry tampons or pads.  Where are they supposed to put these items? 

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

This ban has been in place in our school system for many years. My dd carries a few in her trapper keeper hidden pocket and one in her jeans, she has more in her locker and gym lockers too. It works and there are no problems, but my kids have never known a difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM
10 moms liked this

Are they suppose to carry all their crap in their arms?  It's beyond ridiculous to ban backpacks and purses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN