Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Totally clueless, need wine help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
If its red and made from grapes, I will drink it. But that's as far as my wine knowledge goes. Meanwhile I foolishly offered to bring a bottle tonight for whine & wine night with a girl friend.

Suggestions would be hugely appreciated!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I'm partial to whites, but just go to the wine & spirits store and ask a clerk to help you. They should be able to help you find one that's a popular choice at whatever price you want to pay!

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Oh and bonus points if its from a local vineyard, that's always a good bonus for when you're buying wine to share!

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM
I personally prefer white wine. You can't go wrong with classics, so I would stick with a chardonnay or riesling.
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM
What's your budget? Do you prefer bolder reds or more balanced? Acidic? Dry? Fruity?
JayTee80
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I love a nice pinot grigio or riesling.  Brands will differ by region so your best bet is to talk with someone at your local wine store. 

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I like my wine on the light a touch sweet side.  I don't like most reds as they are just too acidic and hurt my stomach.  I like Barefoots sweet red and Lambrusco wine.  Lambrusco is a sparkling sweet red wine.  I also like Chianti.  It's not as sweet but it's not overly tannic either.

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM

If you like red, Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon are your best bets.  If you like your wine a little on the lighter side, Pinot Noir goes with pretty much any kind of food.  When it gets warmer I like white wine, preferably Pinot Grigio or Fume Blanc (I don't like Chardonnay).  But a good liquor store will be able to show you all kinds of good options based on what you like and what you need to spend!

chicagoliz
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM

So, I take it you don't like white wine?  

I agree about asking at a wine store, but if you can't find someone to help you, you could just go with something like a Yellow Tail Shiraz or Merlot.  They're pretty dependable and reasonably priced.

If you want to try a white wine and you don't generally drink wine but would like something on the sweet side, try a sweet Riesling.  You might like that if you don't generally like wine.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM
For an easy win I'd go with lambrusco, zinfindel, mascato, or sangria
QuinnMae
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM

What is your budget?

Kendall Jackson Chardonnay is decent and easy.  

Not everyone likes a big red.  If you prefer reds, then maybe go with a Pinot Noir.  If everyone likes Cabernet, then you can go with Louis Martini.  I think they have two different vintages from different vinyards and they range from around $15-25 depending on which bottle you are looking at.  Hess is also pretty good for a decent price.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)