Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Poor people are more friendly...

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM
  • 368 Replies
29 moms liked this

I was a young mom at one point of my life, many moons ago. I lived in an apartment building in a lower economic status area. While living there, I was best friends with my neighbour across the hall. I had 2 friends that lived on the 3rd floor, and one on the bottom level. I knew everyone in my block and through out the area, good and bad. Some had kids my sons age so we would go to parks together, or just sit outside on our steps while the kids played together in the yard. Yeah, there were some bad apples. But if you generally avoided them and minded your own business, you'd be just fine. I honestly LOVED it as there was a sense of community.

But that area wasn't good enough for my snobbish dh. He hated my area and admitted that when we first started dating, he almost ended it with me just because of my rough hood LOL We had to move as we were expecting a baby there wasn't enough room in the apt. So, we found a house in a much nicer area.

We have been here almost 3 years. In that time, I've made zero friends. Not a single one! In 3 years, I've tried to talk to our next door neighbor on many many occasions, and they up right refuse! I baked them a basket of cookies when we first moved in, and brought them over to introduce our family, and they declined taking them!!!! Our other neighbors are very strange. The man is completely self absorbed, and cannot hold a conversation. His wife is a complete drunk. Seriously, I've never once talked to her while sober! LOL I attend all the play groups in this area and cannot stand the moms that attend. Seriously, they're the fakest of fake people I've ever encountered and I couldn't see myself being 'friends' with any of them. In spring and summer, we practically live outside. I've chit chatted with many parents of the kids my kids play with, but, for the most part, people just keep to themselves.

I've come to the conclusion that, in my city anyways, poor people are much more friendly. My dh teases me and says "you can't take the hood out of me" lol and it's sort of true. I miss having a real community :(

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM
36 moms liked this

I have noticed that as well for differences in income, the lower ones are much more community oriented

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM
8 moms liked this

I am sure your attitude doesn't help people warm up to you.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM
4 moms liked this
Yeah my neighbors are pretty snobbish too. Woohoo for burbs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM
4 moms liked this
Many moons ago... 3 years lol
or maybe you are just not the type of friends they want.
Sucks but it's life, as long as they don't cause you trouble don't go up harassing them for bonding time.
L202M
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM
38 moms liked this

Based on my own experiences (and I've lived many places) ...I totally agree with you.

catcameback
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM
17 moms liked this

I've lived in poor communities and higher income communities.  When i lived in the west end (poor) I dealt with racism, shootings, stabbings, gang bullshit, drug dealers catcalling to me, lazy bitches who talk and smoke on the sidewalk and don't move as you walk by, people who don't talk to you and don't make eye contact because you wouldn't want to look the wrong way at the wrong person.

I moved to a nicer area, people smile and say hello, they chat and make small talk, they ask after your kids and invite you for tea, parties, playdates ect.  Properties are cleaner, neighbours help eachother more, there is more trust, less crime and residents are more open.

I'm going to have to heartily disagree with you lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, lower income families tend to hang outside more and talk. Where I am now no one goes outside. I have also been in my area for about 3 yrs and don't know anyone.

Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM
42 moms liked this
O.o
because she baked them cookies?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I am sure your attitude doesn't help people warm up to you.

bcoll
by Brandi on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM
8 moms liked this

I have not found that to be true. I have met just as many unhappy, unfriendly poor people as wealthy. I've met many outstanding and friendly people and families from both as well.

Halfdeafmommy
by Pure Honesty on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM
36 moms liked this

That's because usually in low income communities, everyone has to work together.

Then in more expensive places it's all about "me,me,me,me"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN