Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Backyard fence etiquette, is DH right? (PICTURES)

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM
  • 127 Replies

We need a backyard fence & I want one installed this week, but DH is pissing me off. He's too worried about the neighbors & how they don't have a fence, what would that think about us getting one, and he's even talking about fence etiquette, saying we should consult with the next door neighbors before putting it up. I didn't think that was necessary, since it'd be on OUR property line, but we live in a subdivision and our homes are close. But, we rarely speak to the neighbors other than an occasional hello.. I guess I'm a little confused!

Here is the neighbor's home on the right side..

Here is the neighbor's home on the left side..

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not trying to be rude :-)

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM
4 moms liked this

I think that it's considerate to just give them a heads up.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM

What kind of fence?  Is there an HOA for the subdivision?  I think a chain link one would be fine.

Emycf
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

If you talk with the neighbors ever I would just causually mention that you are having a fence installed, but I wouldn't make a big deal about it.

mojogirl
by Alice Liddell on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:15 PM

yes, it's common courtesy to let them know what's happening.

angie729
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM
6 moms liked this

I dont see anything wrong with you putting up a fence on your property line. A chain link or a privacy fence either would be fine in my opinion. If you were my neighbor and put a fence up I would not think anything about it.

megz0511
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Actually it'd be 5 inches in from your property line, unless they had a fence piece you would share, which you don't. So yeah, I'd put it up, a nice white vinyl fence woud look great.
Sweetie1216
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM

We are allowed to have a fence, but it must be white.. We're okay with that, but DH is worried about the neighbors.. SMH! 

Quoting frndlyfn:

What kind of fence?  Is there an HOA for the subdivision?  I think a chain link one would be fine.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM
You should let them know what you're doing. Yes it will be your fence and such but the rules with HOA may mean after it's put up they have to pay for half the repairs when it's broken.

In my neighborhood every few boards are turned differently and what it means is we have to split the cost with the neighbors when the fence needs to be replaced.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM
I would at least talk to them and let them know. Since it's on their property line as well maybe they have some input or would like to help pay for half of fencing costs. Nothing wrong with talking to and being friendly with your neighbors.
MonarchMom22
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't think you need to consult anyone but the zoning office in your town.  Many towns (at least where I live) require a recent survey, and have stipulations on how high a fence can be, and how far back from the front property line.  Some allow higher fences in a back yard than in a front yard, etc.

But asking the neighbors?  No.  I doubt they asked you before they added their deck, shed, or anything else. If you "ask" them, you open the door to a problem if they don't like the idea.  What are you going to do then?  Not put up a fence?  Or do it anyway and now they think you ignored their objections?

You could tell them about the plans, as in "you may see some workman here next week when our fence goes in."   There's an old saying - Good fences make good neighbors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)