Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you allow your kids to have older friends?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
My daughter skipped 5th grade and went into 6th. She's made a lot of new friends in middle school, but they're mostly 13-14. She just turned 11.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Well, I suppose that's the trade off. Yes, I would allow older friends but make it known that he/she probably won't be allowed to do everything the teenagers are doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM

hmmm, my DD was the older one of her friends. Their parents allowed it. I'm sure they checked up on conversations and things, but she was never told that her friends weren't allowed to hang out with older people. The whole group though was a mixed age between 9th and 12th grade.

cakklove
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:48 PM

My 6 year old is a litte more advance than her peers and she gets along better with 7-8 year olds.

balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM

My DD started high school at age 13. It freaked me out just the thought of her being so young and going to high school.

She's done really well. And in general, her friends aren't really aware that she is a bit younger than they are. She's generally one of the more mature ones in most situations.

AuntieM
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Kids make friends in their grade level. She's doing what's normal. Should she be hanging out outside the lower level classrooms trying to make friends? That would be creepy.
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM
Yes. A couple years usually isn't a big deal.
liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM

He has some, yes.

He was, and to an extent still is, a little young socially for his age.  (It's common with ADHD, and he's caught up a lot and will continue to do so.)  So, most his friends are in the grade just below him.  That works for him.

But if your daughter is mature, do what is best for her.  My brother skipped 1st and 9th so was 16 when he went to college.  Even in HS most his friends were older, he did just fine.

proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Yes. My 1st grader is friends with a 4th grader.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM
If you let her skip a grade what did you think it would happen?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN