Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My family is a bunch of a**holes... And they don't even care...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this
I can't stand them.

I loved my grandparents dearly, they raised me, and we lost papaw to cancer in 2009.

We lost mamaw a week ago. Her funeral was yesterday.

She did not leave behind a will, and we were instructed to decide amongst ourselves who would get what possessions of hers and papaws.

We were suppose to all meet at her house to do that.

I got there a half hour early than the time we agreed on and figured I was just the first one there.

Nope. They destroyed the place. Only they didnt take anything for sentimental value, they only took the things that were worth money. Like her jewellery. All of that was gone, except for one necklace and bracelet set, light blue glass beads. She had two sets, and was buried with one. They were her favorites. She wore the blue one daily, and the colourful one on Sundays. She was buried with the colourful one since she requested to be buried in her Sunday best. Now, if any of them wanted her jewellery for sentimental reasons, then they would've been fighting over those glass beads that she wore daily, not leaving them behind. She never wore her other jewellery. (Aside from her wedding band.).

All of her china was gone; even the cabinet it went in was gone.

Her furniture was gone.

The only dishes left were her and papaws matching coffee mugs.

I called her uncle roger (her brother) becuase he was unable to attend her funeral, and I wanted to see if he wanted any of the things that they hadnt taken, he wanted her rocking chair, he made it for her when she got married. So I told him I'd bring it out to him the next time we visited.

I put her bracelet and necklace in her little wooden jewellery box, and went to see if her quilt was still in her closet. It was the only thing left in there, all her clothes were gone. She had made it when I was 6, she always kept it draped over the couch.

There wasnt much in the house, all I had to box up was the knick knacks from the living room, and her afghans. (She loved Chrocheting... You would think that these people who are suppose to love her would have actually wanted the things that meant something to her.).

I put the boxes in my trunk, and the jewellery box and quilt in the back seat.

I was just stabding there staring at her house when Ms. Linda, her neighbour and friend, came out.

She was already crying when she hugged me. She asked if I was ok, and I told her that I'd be fine. She asked me to come inside, said she had something she needed to give me.

She said that one time when she visited mamaw, she gave her a list of everything that she wanted her to put in her trunk, and she wanted her to make sure that I got it.

It was the trunk from the foot of her bed.

Inside it had her photo albums, sd cook book and rolling pin, her wedding dress, his wedding suit, her two favorite quilts, her music box, her sewing kit, papaws pocket watch, papaws cane, and their platter.

Ms.linda handed me a letter that mamaw wrote, it said not to cry for her, becuase she was going to he with papaw again. That she loved me, and that she knew I'd be the only one who would want these things, but that the others would take them out if greed any way and she wanted me to have them. She said "it might not seem like it now, but you'll be just fine with out me. You're stronger than you'll Ever realise, and you will be ok. I love you more than you'll ever understand, and my only regret is that I won't be able to hold that last little granddaughter. But, your papaw and I will both be watching over you and the girls. Dont think of this as losing me, think of it as your papaw and i being reunited. I love you apple, Be sure you give Russell and the girls my love as well.".

I'm 22 weeks pregnant with our thrid daughter.

And she and papaw always called me apple because he said I was the apple of his eye.

Ms.linda helped me get the trunk in the car. And I went home.

I hate the fact that she died knowing our family is made up of a bunch of greedy assholes who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

Sometimes I really hate this fucking family.

How can any one who is mourning the loss of a loved one only care about how much the possessions they got are worth...
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Im so sorry for your loss first of all. Seconly I'm sad to say I have seen this happen many times before, its not just your family believe me. Death it seems, brings out the worst in people. I'm sorry about that too. ((HUGS))

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM
It sounds like you got the best of the lot.

And it also sounds like she knew her family too well...& prepared for that!!

Sorry for your loss!
rhope4
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM
So sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:20 PM
I just don't understand how they could swarm the things she didnt care about and leave behind the things she loved most...

And thank you

Quoting shadowcat76:

Im so sorry for your loss first of all. Seconly I'm sad to say I have seen this happen many times before, its not just your family believe me. Death it seems, brings out the worst in people. I'm sorry about that too. ((HUGS))

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Thank you..

Quoting iamcafemom83: It sounds like you got the best of the lot.

And it also sounds like she knew her family too well...& prepared for that!!

Sorry for your loss!
elzmnsf
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM

You got all the good stuff. And it sounds like she knew who the family was and was at peace with it since she made sure that the precious stuff went to the person who loved her for real. Sorry for your loss, but honor her by striving to be the kind of woman she sounds like. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. You got the best stuff. The stuff that meant the most to her. Her wedding dress. Are you kidding me? That's a prize possession. Everyone married woman knows that. That's amazing. Now your kids have 2 guardian angels. They're with you. Just in a different way. ((Hugs))
mitty75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, what a sweet letter!

hopelesshoarder
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:22 PM

How wonderful for you though, that she knew how much those things would mean to you and took the time to write you a personal and loving goodbye.  I lost my Nana a month ago today and am utterly heartbroken over it - I was desperately worried my vulture-like cousins and aunts would descend on the house and take everything and donate the rest - I am thousands of miles away so could do nothing to stop it. Luckily my Granddad requested they all keep their hands off till he dies (which at 93 and with cancer, won't be far away :(  ).  I would give so much to have a letter from my Nana from the last few months before she died, I have to rely on my memory to let me know how much she loved me and that I was the favourite grandchild... I am also the only one really mourning her loss, and I made a funeral wreath the day she died and sent it to be at the funeral - my family got her a crappy cardboard coffin and no other tributes... but at least I had sent one.  Sorry for your loss... but wrap up in one of those quilts and feel her love always. xx

elzmnsf
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM

And you never will because your mind isn't all effed up and you aren't a selfish materialistic jerk. Probably because you were raised by a fine woman and loving man.

Quoting Anonymous: I just don't understand how they could swarm the things she didnt care about and leave behind the things she loved most... And thank you
Quoting shadowcat76:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN