Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Guilt or act of kindness?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Today was my DS annual spring festival at his school. This is a huge event and everyone from the school and the community attends. The school uses the money to make improvement to the schools playground, getting new band instruments, pretty much anything that is needed and the budget doesn't cover. One of the big money events is a live auction of paintings that each class makes.

I was sitting with my BFF, her MIL and my husband. Prek was first and the MIL started to bid on her granddaughters class painting. (Not my BFFs daughter). The whole time she was saying how it didn't matter how much it was she was going to get it. Well, there was a bidding war between the MIL and another mom. The other mom had a child that passed away 3 years ago in a car accident with her husband. We all knew who she was bidding with and MIL also knew. She kept saying she didn't care. At the end of it the MIL ended up with the painting, and the final bid was $156.

After she went and paid and collected her painting, the other bidder came and offered her 200 for it. She explained that she lost the bid with her son, and she was really wanting this one. Well MIL let her have it for what she paid for it. I cried. I thought it was touching. Her son and mine were BFFs.

We came home and start moving along with our day. I pull up fb this evening and I see MIL posted what happened. Now I'm not sure if what she did was an act of kindness or guilt from being put on the spot?

If it is an act of kindness do you really post what YOU did on fb?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
3_girls_86
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM
People post stuff like that all the time. I think was an act of kindness.
Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Weird that she knew who she was bidding against and didn't care until she was put on the spot.  Who knows what was in her mind but it sounds off to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Thinking back I'm not sure if she was put on the spot and didn't want to crush her. But then. Why would you do something so 'selfless' then post about it on fb.

Seems like she's looking for a pat on the back. But now I just don't see it like that. What threw me off was the fb post. And she hardly posts on fb.

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman:

Weird that she knew who she was bidding against and didn't care until she was put on the spot.  Who knows what was in her mind but it sounds off to me.

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:41 AM

I'd give to benefit of the doubt and assume it was an act of kindness

seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Could be both an act of kindness, but she still wanted some "atta' girl!"s.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:47 AM

A true act of kindness would have been to just gift her the painting. To me it sounds like she was put on the spot.

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Neither. She was put on the spot, and gave up the painting.
curvygurl1912
by Renee on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:31 AM
I think it was kind of her to do it no matter what her motivation was. As for posting it on fb, that is so common that I dont even think twice about when I see people do it. It is human nature to want a pat on the back. I dont judge for that. I also dont spend time questioning peoples motivations when they do something nice. That is fruitless and a waste of energy. Plus not my business. If an act of kindness occured that brought joy to someone, thats all that matters.
VicVinegar
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Yet another reason I deleted my fb! I can't stand it when people do nice things JUST for the attention. I've done a lot of nice things in my life and have never once bragged about them because I wasn't doing it for the praise, I did it simply to do something nice. The worst is when they brag about "doing the right thing", it's like congratulations, you did what you SHOULD have!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)