Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Spinoff: Why is it okay for a child to correct an adult?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
I see OP's logic; If they are taking a subway and a random adult swears, the kid corrects them, and the adult doesnt stop or apologize, then what? Kids should be taught not to repeat everything they hear, too.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM
They can ask someone to watch their language, but people have the right to free speech. It doesnt make swearing in front of children right, but...
summerlove3677
by ReedusSlut on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM
Right. My kids knows that adults say bad words and they also know not to repeat those bad words. My kid would never correct me because I'm an adult and I can say what I want
curvygurl1912
by Renee on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:07 AM
4 moms liked this
I didnt read that post but my child is not permitted to correct adults. The only exception is if an adult is violating her personal physical boundaries. In that case she knows to be rude and to raise hell. But hearing an adult cuss?? Nope, not her business
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Because parenting is messed up these days! Every parent is a psychologist and no one has common sense. It's ludicrous.
Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM
My kids know not to curse, but they also know adults shouldn't either, so they will correct ppl if they hear it. I live in the south though, so when they have corrected someone, the response is always something like "oh sweetheart! I'm so sorry! You're absolutely right!"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I don't think it's right for a kid to correct an adult.  Maybe if they saw sometone doing somethnig wrong, they could bring it to the attention of a trusted adult, but not to directly correct them.  I don't want my 10 yr old to tell an adult to stop stealing or swearing.  The kids could get hurt.  It would be okay for them to tell the manager or a police officer or the adult that is in charge.  My kids have corrected adults for language or behavior and have been told it's inappropriate (by me).  Although they may be right, it's not their place.  IMHO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I don't see an issue with a child correcting an adult.  

Children should, also, be taught not to repeat everything they hear.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM
So say you are in the situation I posted above. You are in a subway (a public setting", an random adult swears, and the adult tells them to "mind their own business". Then what?

Quoting Cbreland07: My kids know not to curse, but they also know adults shouldn't either, so they will correct ppl if they hear it. I live in the south though, so when they have corrected someone, the response is always something like "oh sweetheart! I'm so sorry! You're absolutely right!"
Alyssasmommy412
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I wouldn't have my children correct strangers on the subway, but if they heard a relative or friend say something I wouldn't have a problem with my child saying something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

If I heard a random child on the subway telling me not to swear I would laugh my ASS off at them and then explain what would have happened to ME as a child if I dared correct a stranger let alone someone I knew. But I keep to myself on public transport and DON'T walk around swearing my head off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN