Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I wrong?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
For weeks my mother has been asking for a pair of shoes that she wants me to purchase for her. We live in the same county and sometimes do our grocery shopping together or visit the mall, movies etc. So everytime we go somewhere and see those shoes she brings it up. Her latest attempt is that mother's day is coming up and she wants them as a present. Normally this would not be an issue. I would purchase the shoes and be done with it. However, my parents have run into some financial troubles over the last couple of years. I have helped out where I can by paying off the remaining balance on my mother's car, a few mortgage payments, cell phone etc. I am happy to do this for my parents. But this demand by my mother for shoes is too much. She has a closet full of shoes and doesnt wear half of them. So finally I told her I am not your only child, you have three other children why not ask them to get the shoes for you? She gets upset after I said that and said she doesn't know why she asked to begin with, no one appreciates her etc. She then says two of my siblings won't even come home for mother's day. The two siblings she is referring to have taken on the responsibility of two of my parent's bills since they started having trouble and they live on the otherside of the state from my parents. I said well how about my oldest sibling and she said oh I couldn't ask him to do that. This sibling has a job, doesn't help my parents with their bills or financially, talks to my mother everyday (so it is not an estranged relationship) but she cannot ask him to buy her a pair of shoes? So am I wrong for refusing to buy the shoes and feel a little bit hurt?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I think it is sad that she is asking her child to buy her anything!

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Nope, you're not wrong.
caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think so. You can only do so much and it especially sucks to feel used by family.
jujubear1
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
You're not wrong, but I wouldn't throw it in her face that you're helping her either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
No. Honestly... I would desperately want to say "I've paid off you car, covered your mortgage and cell phone bill but I don't appreciate you because I won't buy you shoes?".

I would then stop doing things with her for awhile until she learns to appreciate her children.
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Not wrong. Shes using you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
No your not wrong. It's not like she needs the shoes. She sounds like a kid. I know she is your mom and you want her to be happy. You are helping her with her bills which is way more important. We all have hard times. At those times you have to give up some things. Like the shoes. She doesn't need them. And That's hard for me to say. I love shoes!
WaffleHead
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:38 AM
This sounds crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Think of all the shoes she has bought you in your lifetime. Randomly buying shoes.....no. Buying shoes as a gift for mothers day because you know it's a gift she would like.....yes!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Quoting jujubear1: You're not wrong, but I wouldn't throw it in her face that you're helping her either.

I don't. I just pointed out to her that she has other children and since she now turned the shoes into a mother's day present there are three other people in the world that call her mother. I didn't mention the other things to her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)