Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

drinking was your choice, not keeping the kids quet while you all nurse a hang over is mine!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

DH and i have 3 kids, ranging in age from 16 months to 6 years. children are not quiet by nature, thats pretty much a given. babies will cry, kids get bored and will start to run around the house if you dont give them something to do. yet those facts are always forgotten when we visit DH's family, i understand that they have a way of living and as guests in there home we just have to deal. but EVERYTIME we visit i feel like they are treating me like a babysitter, not just for the children but the adults as well. DH's family likes to drink and have a good time playing cards long into the night and early morning. i dont drink except on rare occations and i never cared for cards. so instead i am left to mind after the kids, which often includes BIL's and friends who stop by to join in the drinking. its normally 5 or 6 kids by the end of things that im trying to manage. while the group is talking loadly, i hav to somehow get the kids to go to sleep.... easier said then done.

when things finely die down and the group goes to bed its often 3 or 4 in the morning. the kids wake up at around 6 or seven and once one is a wake its really hard to keep the others quiet. so its not long before they are running around the house. if i try to keep the baby in the bedroom i get bitched out by DH because he wants to sleep, if i turn on the TV so the kids will have something to keep them busy. i get bitched out by who ever is sleeping in the livingroom or is close enougt to hear it. the same goes for everywhere else in the house, because EVERYONE is hung over! im sick of it and im sick of being stuck as the babysitter.

this is hardly a one time thing, in fact its very common for them to get together and drink 2 or 3 times during our 2 week visit. so this time i decided that enough was enough, im tied of getting yelled at. when the baby woke up i left him in his travel pin after he had been changed and feed. knowing fully well that he would wake up DH, then i stuck the other children in front of the TV an turned it on load enough for the whole house to hear. its a double wide trailer, so that wasnt hard. it wasnt long before people started to wake up. im sorry but its noon and i can not keep the kids quiet while you nurse those hang overs!!! i have put up with 6 years of this and i have had enough. this is my vacation too and this is what i have to put up with ever time, i told DH that if he wants to drink with his friends and family then fine. he can pay for a hotel room for the kids and i so we are not bothering them. this is the last time i am getting bitched out and yelled at because they choose to drink!!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:34 PM
fuck that. I wouldn't have.let that happen at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Trailer. Drinking. Cards.  Sounds like hell.

Take care of your kids only.  Either go to a hotel or take care of your kids only.  Go out to breakfast in the morning and take YOUR kids only to  a park to play.  Don;t ask - just do it.

It happens because you let it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Stop visiting DH's family. If this is going to happen every time then something has to change.

If you dont want to stop visiting, then take the kids out of the house when they wake up. That way it is a bit peaceful for you as you wont get "bitched" at. 

MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM
I decided you should stop feeding into that nonsense after the first paragraph.
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Well I would try to keep my own kid quiet, but I wouldn't worry about others. I personally dont drink and I still dont like kids running around and being loud. Especially that early in the morning. When DS has friends stay the night, they are told that when they get up in the morning they need to play quietly in their room or watch tv quietly.

flywifey86
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Yeah, that's bullshit.
Arwynn
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Agreed.
Let him visit by himself and you and the kids go somewhere fun.

Quoting Anonymous:

Trailer. Drinking. Cards.  Sounds like hell.

Take care of your kids only.  Either go to a hotel or take care of your kids only.  Go out to breakfast in the morning and take YOUR kids only to  a park to play.  Don;t ask - just do it.

It happens because you let it.  

elfling811
by Niki on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM
I would have gone to a hotel with my kids after the first time.
Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Screw that. I would not visit them anymore.
shell3m
by Shell on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM
The kids and i would be staying at a hotel at night....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)