Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Had the worst experience at the er

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM
  • 65 Replies
So I may or may not have strep throat (I'll link the other post in a reply). Last night I woke up with a fever at 2 am and my hangy ball thing was swollen and misshaped. I freaked out in so much pain I decided to go to the er to get antibiotics and a look at.

I got there about 230 and waited until 4. I was checked in by the nurse who does all the normal check in vitals. I have a fever of course despite my 800 mg ib profin I just took.

Rather than calling me back after the time waiting, the nurse yes through the waiting room "girl with a sore throat? Sore throat girl were ready for you!" Hands me off to another nurse "hey here is the girl with a sore throat"

I lost it and started to bawl. This isn't just any sore throat. I've had a high fever for a week. I have spots on the back of my throat. My throat is swollen!!! They have my chart they know my name! I was humiliated. Can you imagine being someone in that waiting room and hearing that??

So I told the nurse I was offended by that and I have a name this isn't any sore throat. The head nurse apologized really condescending but I let it go because I just want to be seen and get some antibiotics.

So my nurse, crystal comes in. She is super sweet, take a look and says "omg ya I can see that stuff on the back of your throat! I'll get the doc in right away"

Doc comes in says "say awe" for two seconds and says he sees nothing. I ask him to look again because my doc, his nurse and I can see it. Doc refused. Then he offers me pain killers (narco??). I explain to him I don't take pain killers. All I want is some antibiotics and to be on my way. He keeps pushing pain killers refuses antibiotics. So doctor leaves and crystal comes back in.

I tell her he hardly looked and said There was nothing wrong. She looks again and says well it's really clear I'm not looking that hard. Then she looks into my ear and says that's getting red to to make sure I take sudifed. And then she came back in with freakibg pain killers "doc said you would want these". And apologized again for the whole thing.

That was the most horrible experience I've ever had seeking medical care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Here is the link tote other post. Mobile can't do clicky

http://m.cafemom.com/groups/read_topic.php?group_id=115189&topic_id=19881087
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:54 PM
What the actual fuck? If that was me I would be calling someone, that was in no way professional. If I'm not mistaken that's a hippa violation right there yelling that out. We're they drunk?!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

probably because their job is to treat emergencies - you know, things that threaten death or permanent injury to your body.  not sore throats.

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry. 

We went to the ER once because I thought I had broken my husbands shin while we were sparring.  Sat there for 2 hours listening to the nurses yell at and restrain another patient.  Then listening to him repeatedly say that he had to go to the bathroom and when he finally pissed himself, they started yelling at him again.

Needless to say, we left without even getting his results.  Ended up calling the hospital director the next day to complain and she went down personally and got his xray results.

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Wow, I'd file a complaint!

I went to the ER for strept. I actually saw two doctors before the visit. I was treated like dirt. Similiar thing, I waited 6 hours. I was swollen all inside my throat, and ws in extreme pain. I actually went because I had been on antibiotics a few days and it was getting worse..I was afraid my throat was swelling shut. So after about 4hrs of being in so much pain, and crying a bit..this guy who's got a bloody hand went up to the nurses and is like "This girl is in pain, something is wrong!! You can't SEE this?!" so thankful for that guy. Anyways, when I finally got in after nurses gave me attitude like I was no big deal. The dr looked in my throat, apologized a 100 times and gave me antibiotics via the IV--and gave me a higher dose to take home, an anti-inflammatory, some morphine ( I didnt even ask for it lol..just asked for some tylenol or something a bit stronger) and vicodin to send me home with. She wasnt even sure if I had abcess..but she was floored. I was lucky though, she was/is a super nice DR and made damn sure I'd be alright.

Sorry, felt like sharing my ER story :P. Anyways, I've had many many of those bad experiences. I'd definitely file a complaint..because who knows who else that dr is doing that to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Yes but probably the only option in the middle of the night.

Quoting Anonymous:

probably because their job is to treat emergencies - you know, things that threaten death or permanent injury to your body.  not sore throats.

goodygumdrops
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Do you have an Urgent care you can go to today?  I'm sorry your going through all that, I went through something very similar at the ER  years ago with a double ear infection.  No antibiotics, just 2 different pain killers and was told it was ok to fly across country the next day.  

I do not understand why its easier to get pain meds than it is to get antibiotics for an obvious infection.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe you shouldn't go to the emergency room when it's not a real emergency? That tends to aggravate the people who are there to care for emergencies. Have I said the word emergency enough yet to get your attention?

I mean, sure, you were in pain and uncomfortable, but it could have waited.

lkane81
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM
File a complaint and get into a urgent care or regular doc
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Wow! I have never been treated like that! They are all super nice to me.  I was in the ER this week for a gastro. I threw up in the garbage can while airing and they all cam over to help. They even made a huge effort to speak to me in English. No one in this town speaks English, so that w as really nice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)