Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

sun screen!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What do you use?

My pasty white 2.5yo is still red After 45min outside with sspf70 :/

This will be his first summer being allowed outside a lot, and I don't want him to burn :(
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Replies (11-17):
AjsMom0508
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM
I'm allergic to sunscreen so I don't use it on myself. On Ds I use SPF 15 and have since he was 1. Super high SPF is worthless. He rarely gets sun screen though.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:20 PM

You don't have to risk anything.

There are all kinds of easy/safe ways to protect yourself from the sun while you get the good benefits of the sun (like Vit D) at the same time.

Coconut oil has an SPF of 10-15.

You can also wear cool, lightweight clothing with long sleeves, hats, enjoy the shade or indoors during the sun's peak hours, eat foods that naturally boost your epidermal armour, etc.

You can do whatever you like, I just prefer to avoid slathering chemicals all over my kid's skin on a daily bases (soaps, shampoos, sunscreen, moisturizer, etc). We all have our own preferences.

Quoting Anonymous:

Coconut oil does not work for my pasty white self, I in no way would attempt using it on a little one. I live in AZ though, the sun is intense out here.

The way I see it chemicals and nanoparticles > skin cancer. Melanoma is no joke, highly metastatic. There are two other forms that arent as bad, but why risk it?

Quoting danie24:

We don't use sunscreen. We avoid rubbing chemicals and nanoparticles all over our skin.

We prefer to use organic coconut oil, instead.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Suncreen is the one chemical I will allow. Coconut oil does not block the rays of the sun which cause skin cancer. Not to mention an spf 10-15 is not enough in full sunlight. Long sleeves do not work in Arizona weather, it is so hot, an extra layer can become dangerous.

I think sunscreen is the lesser evil. All of the 'all natural' sorts of information sources do not accurately mention how coconut oil is simply insufficient. As I said, I tried coconut oil on myself once, I was so burned. I was not outside for long, maybe 20-30 minutes.

I did however read about making an all natural sunscreen that uses coconut oil, but also a few other ingredients and I would be willing to try that, but coconut oil alone, you might as well be using nothing, there is no protection from the UVA/UVB rays.

Quoting danie24:

You don't have to risk anything.

There are all kinds of easy/safe ways to protect yourself from the sun while you get the good benefits of the sun (like Vit D) at the same time.

Coconut oil has an SPF of 10-15.

You can also wear cool, lightweight clothing with long sleeves, hats, enjoy the shade or indoors during the sun's peak hours, eat foods that naturally boost your epidermal armour, etc.

You can do whatever you like, I just prefer to avoid slathering chemicals all over my kid's skin on a daily bases (soaps, shampoos, sunscreen, moisturizer, etc). We all have our own preferences.

Quoting Anonymous:

Coconut oil does not work for my pasty white self, I in no way would attempt using it on a little one. I live in AZ though, the sun is intense out here.

The way I see it chemicals and nanoparticles > skin cancer. Melanoma is no joke, highly metastatic. There are two other forms that arent as bad, but why risk it?

Quoting danie24:

We don't use sunscreen. We avoid rubbing chemicals and nanoparticles all over our skin.

We prefer to use organic coconut oil, instead.

curvygurl1912
by Renee on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Use zinc oxide if he is that pale. Color equals skin damage

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM
We can't use zinc oxide in anything. All 3 boys are allergic. So its all zinc free suncare

Quoting curvygurl1912:

Use zinc oxide if he is that pale. Color equals skin damage

maminka-4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:56 PM
I have used Badger Balm, and Tru-Kid. Both are organic and wonderful! I like tru-kid over badger balm. This year I am going to try using stuff from purple prairie botanicals.

I check things like this on the Skin Deep website. I try to stay away from as many chemicals as I can.
Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM
We use babyganics in SPF 30 for our super pale son. He also always has a sun hat with a chin strap and sunglasses. He's 17 months and we are trying to avoid all the bad burns my husband got as a kid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)