Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Postpartum depression is not

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

something that I ever expected to deal with. I've never had any kind of depression. Lately, though, some things have made me think that I should look into it. When I was talking to my husband today about the possibility, I decided just to see what the symptoms are. When I looked them up, I immediately burst into tears. I fit nearly all of the symptoms listed, including every one of the "baby blue" symptoms that they say should have faded by now (6 months postpartum). It was oddly relieving to see that there is (more than likely- I haven't been to the doctor yet) an answer to why I've felt like this. I'll be calling my doctor tomorrow to make an appointment.

Did you have postpartum depression/psychosis?

Here's an excerpt from the Mayo Clinic page:

Baby blues symptoms

Signs and symptoms of the baby blues — which last only a few days to a week or two — may include:

• Mood swings
  • Anxiety
  • Sadness
  • Irritability
  • Crying
  • Decreased concentration
  • Trouble sleeping

Postpartum depression symptoms

Postpartum depression may appear to be the baby blues at first — but the signs and symptoms are more intense and longer lasting, eventually interfering with your ability to care for your baby and handle other daily tasks. Postpartum depression symptoms may include:

• Loss of appetite
  • Insomnia
  • Intense irritability and anger
  • Overwhelming fatigue
  • Loss of interest in sex
  • Lack of joy in life
  • Feelings of shame, guilt or inadequacy
  • Severe mood swings
  • Difficulty bonding with your baby
  • Withdrawal from family and friends
  • Thoughts of harming yourself or your baby

Untreated, postpartum depression may last for many months or longer.

Postpartum psychosis

With postpartum psychosis — a rare condition that typically develops within the first two weeks after delivery — the signs and symptoms are even more severe. Signs and symptoms of postpartum psychosis may include:

• Confusion and disorientation
  • Hallucinations and delusions
  • Paranoia
  • Attempts to harm yourself or your baby

When to see a doctor

If you're feeling depressed after your baby's birth, you may be reluctant or embarrassed to admit it. But it's important to call your doctor if the signs and symptoms of depression have any of these features:

• Don't fade after two weeks
  • Are getting worse
  • Make it hard for you to care for your baby
  • Make it hard to complete everyday tasks
  • Include thoughts of harming yourself or your baby

If you suspect that you're developing postpartum psychosis, seek medical attention immediately. Don't wait and hope for improvement. Postpartum psychosis may lead to life-threatening thoughts or behaviors.

by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Baby blues, but not ppd.

((HUGS)) to those who have.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Bump?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:21 PM
I've experienced it. I couldn't afford to get help for it either. I had to wait it out. Our marriage still hasn't recovered.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I had it BAD after the birth of my second child. It lasted until she was about a year and a half old. I didn't even realize that's what was wrong with me until after the fact. It took a huge toll on myself and my family and almost completely destroyed my marriage. I hated my husband, and I'm ashamed to  say I didn't like my daughter either. She was a difficult baby which just made my feelings worse. I resented her immensely. I had horrible thoughts. I withdrew from everyone, and any time I did speak to my husband I was screaming at him, crying, etc. Basically just acting like a complete nut case. I refused to tend to my baby and made him get up with her through the nights, every night and take care of her any time he was home. I would sleep all the time and neglected all my housework. I would take my older daughter and just me and her would go do things together, alone all the time. I never wanted my baby or my husband around me. When I finally realized how crazy I was acting I got myself into counseling, but they just wanted to drug me up and I'm not a fan of that, so I tried it, but stopped. My husband and I separated and lived apart for a while. Not long after that is when I finally started to come out of it. I realized what was going on and how awful I had been and felt horrible for it. Thankfully, I'm all better now and my husband and I are back together and have been for 4 years now and doing great. My relationship with my daughter is much better too.

It's a very dark, horrible, awful place. If you think you have ppd, get into counseling immediately.

MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Don't take this lightly. It's scary shit. See your doctor soon. I had it after my son, and it was scary.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I'm sorry. =(

Quoting Anonymous: I've experienced it. I couldn't afford to get help for it either. I had to wait it out. Our marriage still hasn't recovered.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Police on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM
I was terrified about it. Cripes, I'm already mentally ill. But, I didn't have it, thank God.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Thank you. If you can get help, I would advise to do so ASAP. It is no fun to go through on your own.

Quoting MamaRae85:

I'm sorry. =(

Quoting Anonymous: I've experienced it. I couldn't afford to get help for it either. I had to wait it out. Our marriage still hasn't recovered.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I'm glad you got some help. It doesn't seem to be really severe with me, but I know it often gets worse, so I'm definitely calling the doctor tomorrow.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had it BAD after the birth of my second child. It lasted until she was about a year and a half old. I didn't even realize that's what was wrong with me until after the fact. It took a huge toll on myself and my family and almost completely destroyed my marriage. I hated my husband, and I'm ashamed to  say I didn't like my daughter either. She was a difficult baby which just made my feelings worse. I resented her immensely. I had horrible thoughts. I withdrew from everyone, and any time I did speak to my husband I was screaming at him, crying, etc. Basically just acting like a complete nut case. I refused to tend to my baby and made him get up with her through the nights, every night and take care of her any time he was home. I would sleep all the time and neglected all my housework. I would take my older daughter and just me and her would go do things together, alone all the time. I never wanted my baby or my husband around me. When I finally realized how crazy I was acting I got myself into counseling, but they just wanted to drug me up and I'm not a fan of that, so I tried it, but stopped. My husband and I separated and lived apart for a while. Not long after that is when I finally started to come out of it. I realized what was going on and how awful I had been and felt horrible for it. Thankfully, I'm all better now and my husband and I are back together and have been for 4 years now and doing great. My relationship with my daughter is much better too.

It's a very dark, horrible, awful place. If you think you have ppd, get into counseling immediately.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Please call your physician, OP. I had postpartum psychosis, which successfully responded to treatment almost immediately. You will be amazed how much better you feel. Do it not just for you, but your family as well. Wishing you very well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)