Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH is such a bad judge of character!

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM
  • 174 Replies
DS has a girlfriend of 2 years. She is from a very poor family. They have been evicted several times, off and on work, ect. The girlfriend told me in a one on one conversation that her mother has lost 2 jobs for having sex with the boss. And that her father is an alcoholic. The girlfriend stinks all the time and I have taken her shopping several times and bought her clothes. Which pisses me off because her parents constantly go to Football and Baseball games. That is expensive.

In two years we have only met the mother, once on prom night. And she was rude to us. We have invited them over , but they say no. Yesterday DH went to their apartment, to give them our unused furniture. He said the apartment was disgusting, cats all over. Smoke filled air and trash, actual trash on the floor.

DS says the reason they never come over is because the mom is shy. I laughed. She sleeps with her bosses. I looked her up and she has several harassment charges and peace orders. She is not shy!

DH is insisting I go and make a bigger effort to be more inviting. I don't want to be friends with them. I know it sounds bad but come on!?

Am I being a snob? You all know I have tough skin. What would you do?

BtW the DS is 21, gfriend is 20
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WaffleHead
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:07 AM
7 moms liked this
Why would you want to be friends with them. They sound like trash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bensmommy1
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Eww no stay away from them!
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:07 AM
11 moms liked this
You've reached out to the parents, she's going to be grown soon, guide the poor girl the best you can.
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Eta I meant her circumstances not finances for poor girl.

Quoting sugareemommee: You've reached out to the parents, she's going to be grown soon, guide the poor girl the best you can.
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:09 AM
That is what I think! DH is out of his mind.

Quoting WaffleHead: Why would you want to be friends with them. They sound like trash.
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM
I do reach out and try. But she sees nothing wrong with how they live their lives. Its crazy! I will continue to help.

Quoting sugareemommee: Eta I meant her circumstances not finances for poor girl.

Quoting sugareemommee: You've reached out to the parents, she's going to be grown soon, guide the poor girl the best you can.
maminka-4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
You have extended the invitation to come over to your house a few times and they have turned you down each time. I don't believe you need to do anything more.

Maybe they are embarrassed about the way they live? About their house?

And yeah, if the mom was rude at prom, then I wouldn't put any!ore effort into getting to know them.

Sounds like their daughter is quite opposite of her parents.
supergasper
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't have to be friends with them.  I couldn't be.  I would be kind and civil when we happened to see each other, but I wouldn't go out of my way to force a relationship.

NHGal
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I can see trying to be friendly with my child's gf/bf parents, but if they don't want to be, then why force it?  It doesn't sound like you have much in common so again,  I wouldn't force it.  I think the best thing you can do in this situation is to help the gf realize there is more to life then the life path her parents are on.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:13 AM
3 moms liked this

She probably does think you are snobby. As far as living conditions for the daughter, I was expecting this to be a teenager, but as an adult she has all of the power to move out and have a nice home or whatever. I wouldnt go any more out of my way than you already have to befriend the mom, if you can manage weather chat that should be enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)