Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

does ds deserve his reward?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
Ds has a huge problem with talking at school. At the beginning of the year, it was a daily problem. He managed to get it to where he control himself for the week (got to choose his Friday night dinner)

So I upped it to a month. He cannot get a month without getting into trouble about talking. It's always at the beginning of the month, I remind him everyday.

Should I give him the monthly reward? May is the last full month of school. (He gets to buy three Lego people of his choice at the Lego store. It's something he really wants, but the last four months, I haven't done it bc of that one day of talking
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Nope. I wouldn't. Had to go through something similar with my dd

A month is a month. If he's getting in trouble even once for talking out of turn, no reward.

But that is just me...
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:16 AM

How old is he?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
are you seriously rewarding him for doing what he supposed to do anyway? How about teach him not to be a rude little snit by talking in class which takes away from his classmates education? rewarding him for doing what he supposed to do anyway teaches him that he's going over and beyond and that's not what's happening here. How about when he does get in trouble at school you punish him at home. So if he doesn't want to get punished he is going to be quiet. Besides the fact it doesn't seem like your reward system is working anyway
imakehimscream
by He screams on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Nope if he is still getting in trouble he doesn't deserve it
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt. I wouldnt even reward him for something that is just proper behavior. I would punish though for not using proper behavior. Whatever you all have agreed on is what should be followed through with. 

SAHMJC
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Quoting thenameshailie:

I wouldnt. I wouldnt even reward him for something that is just proper behavior. I would punish though for not using proper behavior. Whatever you all have agreed on is what should be followed through with. 

I agree. School aged kids should not need to be rewarded for doing what they're supposed to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM
8. In second grade

Quoting imthatgirl0607:

How old is he?

cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM
At this point stick to what you said. What grade and how old?
With my dd when we had this problem I had her set her own goal for how many days a 6 weeks she could get bad marks. Like in six weeks her personal goal was 3 or less notes sent home. Never last the "warning" stage either. I offered a reward if she made it under 5 and a bigger reward if under 3 which was her goal. Does that make sense?
That was last year. This year she's had 3 infractions all year and she fixed herself so quick the teacher included a note about how she admired her honesty and how quickly she adjusted her behavior.
Maybe adjust a little for May. Require less than 2 infractions instead of zero. Nobody is perfect all the time. Give him a small reward for less than 2 and a bigger reward for 0.
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Oh and each infraction warrants a discipline.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM

If he got in trouble within that month for talking in class, he should not get the reward. He didn't carry through his part of the deal. I would praise him for the days that he did go without talking in class, but I wouldn't give him the reward. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)