Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Toddler throws fit getting into carseat!! Help - UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:18 AM
  • 168 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 21 month old son does NOT like his car seat. He has started acting like a complete turd every time we have to get in the car. I dread it every time. On the rare occasion that he does do good, I always tell him how big he is and how great he did. 

I currently try to prep him for it by saying, "we are going bye bye in the car." He still buckles up on me, kicking and screaming, and sliding down in his seat. Ugh. I try to distract him too.

Any other suggestions?? 

First of all, I am NOT spanking him for behavior that seems pretty damn normal according to the mothers on here that experience the same thing. It would only make him more upset. I am not against spanking but I wont be using that method for this situation. Get over it!

Just to clarify since people keep asking - He has a Graco My Ride 70. I know it is not the car seat because it's been this way since he was around 6 months. He doesn't like being restricted even in the grocery cart, high chair, swing, etc. I was looking for suggestions that maybe I haven't thought about b/c it can be very frustrating. He calms down once we get moving.

I think yesterday was particularly harder because we got a new van. I have been letting him play in it because, well, getting a new vehicle is exciting. There is a DVD player in it and that is why he was upset too, but I personally do not want to start that habit with him. My own personal belief.

This morning he did great!! I was equipped with his snack/drink and some books & toys.It seems like some days will just be more intense than others.

Thank you to everyone with the funny stories and good suggestions!

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM
I go through the same thing. There is nothing really you can do they just have to get used to it. Take him everyday in the car that's what I did with my children.
Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM

This morning was particularly rough. I got a little frustrated with him and feel bad :o(  Glad he is not the only one!

Quoting Anonymous: I go through the same thing. There is nothing really you can do they just have to get used to it. Take him everyday in the car that's what I did with my children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Mine gets food.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Don't feel bad. It's something you will go through. My 3 year old still kicks and screams when he needs to get in the car seat.

Quoting Hot_Badonkadonk:

This morning was particularly rough. I got a little frustrated with him and feel bad :o(  Glad he is not the only one!

Quoting Anonymous: I go through the same thing. There is nothing really you can do they just have to get used to it. Take him everyday in the car that's what I did with my children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Sorry I have no advice. I have probelms with my dd too. It's nerve racking most days.
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM
20 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM

This has been normally been working. I always give him fruit and a drink on the way to the babysitter's house. This morning that did not matter. Ugh...

Quoting Anonymous: Mine gets food.

Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM

LOL! He was definitely The Rod this morning.

Quoting mrsrodgers0703:

Mobile Photo

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Bring the carseat into the house, and let him play on it, watch TV in it, etc.  That worked for my little buggers when they got to that stage of fighting the carseat.

blue-heart
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM
I have no advice. My oldest never really struggled to get in his but my 14 month old has been fighting me lately.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)