Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about the disabled getting special treatment?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM
  • 316 Replies
4 moms liked this

So going back to the Disney GAC privelages, no one every really expressed their true thoughts on the real purpose it was there for.

For example, providing a place for people to park their scooters or wheelchairs. Line access that is wheelchair accessible. Providing interpreters for the hard of hearing and deaf and providing a specific seating area reserved just for them.

The whole point of equal opportunity and equal access is not to CATER to or put ahead but to provide equal OPPORTUNITY to gain access to information, performance, or location like a wheel chair person.

Seems to me people have no idea what equal opportunity or access really means (yes referring to the defensive autism parents or parents that have kids with behavior disorders).

I have interpreters at school and while I am lucky they became my friends and I have the privelage to have a class buddy beyond just an interpreter, they never do my homework or assist with my school work. Trust me, I wouldn't want them to because they wouldnt have a clue how to do it anyhow. But the point is, I don't really get "special treatment" and I work my ass off. The only thing they provide is interpreting what is said and assisting with communication.

I do feel that requiring special treatment is different, that is not neccessarily equal access/opportunity in my opinion.

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM

let's discuss ladies.

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM
I honestly agree with you.
thetrollcat
by Meow on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Oh thank pugs Im not alone in these thoughts. However, I want to see what some of them say regards to considering catering to as equal access/opportunity.

Quoting LaughCryLive: I honestly agree with you.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM
24 moms liked this

I have nothing against those passes for people in wheelchairs and people who have physical limitations. However allowing people with behavioral problems to skip the line because they will get antsy if they wait (like every other human on the planet) is where I see a problem. 

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I am fine with it. Of course I have worked with differently abled people so i would get more annoyed with those who abused handicapped parking forcing soemone who can barely walk to have to park about 20 feet further away.

LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't consider it special treatment and I think those that do think that need to mind their own damn business and need to get a life. If I needed assistance I would be very grateful to have it available. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Well like I said, I am starting to wonder if people are misunderstanding what the real intend of equal access/opportunity really means. I am no law expert but I dont recall that allowing special privelage is in the law itself?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I have nothing against those passes for people in wheelchairs and people who have physical limitations. However allowing people with behavioral problems to skip the line because they will get antsy if they wait (like every other human on the planet) is where I see a problem. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM
5 moms liked this
most of the rides at Disney World have lines that are already wheelchair accessible. I think they should have to stay in the same line as everyone else if they can't they shouldn't go to Disney. I also do not think they should get priority seating for things like the fireworks and parades. Yes I understand that then being a wheelchair makes it harder to see and therefore they would require front seats to be able to see but that's the same with small children and most people go to Disney have small children. I also do not think did they should get to jump ahead in line in the bus lane. Nothing makes me madder when I waited for 45 minutes for a bus at the end of the day just have somebody wheelchair roll up and get right on the first bus that comes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM
*Privileges
chaotic.mind
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I agree with you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)