Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was my daughter way out of line?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 600 Replies
23 moms liked this

Today my kiddos didn't have school, so I took the day off from work to use it as an opportunity to go buy summer clothes for DD. None of her old clothes fit her anymore, thus the shopping trip. Our mall has two lots, the closer lot and the farther lot. Since a lot of the kids had off today, the mall was actually fairly busy so I decided to park in the farther lot to save some space. So, I let DD out of the car on the walkway by the farther lot while I went to go find a parking space. Parking space found, I went to the entrance only to see my daughter standing next to a pregnant woman and another passerby. 

This is the story given to me by my daughter (confirmed by the passerby.) While walking towards the entrance, my DD saw someone park in the Handicapped spot. DD has a friend who is handicapped so she is aware that in order to park in the spot, you need a Handicapped placard or a Handicapped tag on the license plate. While walking past the car, DD saw neither of those. So, trying to be friendly, she asked the pregnant woman if she had accidentally forgotten to put up her Handicapped tag. The woman told my DD that she wasn't handicapped, but she was six months pregnant and didn't want to have to walk a far distance to the entrance. Our mall does have Family with Infants/Young Children parking, however all of the spots were taken up when I walked over there. DD said that it was illegal to park in a handicapped spot and she should move her car to open up space for those who need it and that she could possibly get a ticket for parking there. The woman said that it didn't matter and that being pregnant "was a disability too." That apparently got my DD REALLY pissed off, and that's when the passerby walked over (he had been helping to get his young children in their stroller at the time, so he had overheard the whole thing.) I walked over shortly after that. The woman said that my daughter was "overstepping her boundaries" and she was an "ungrateful brat." (She did get in her car and move it, though.) DD explained what had happened and the passerby confirmed, then commended her on her actions. We then went in to do our shopping. 

Personally, I'm proud of my DD for saying something. She has been in the car with her friend before in cases where there was no handicapped parking left and there were clearly cars parked without any indication tha a handicapped person was there. When I relayed the story to my SIL, she said that while what the woman did was wrong, DD did cross a line. I'm just curious to know what others think about the whole situation. Using handicapped parking while pregnant, my DD's actions, etc...

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM
32 moms liked this

How old is your daughter? If she is heading into adulthood I don't see mcuh of a problem beyond continuing to harass someone over it. Instead she should have said something, taken down the plate and reported it. 

If she is younger (under 16) she needs to be more aware of safety issues and not approach someone like that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM
6 moms liked this
How old is she? I keep picturing a 6 year old and freaking like omg, anything could've happened! Lol hopefully she's older.

I'm normally a silent person so I wouldn't have said anything. But your dd had a moral stance and she stuck up for her friend/those with actual disabilities.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM
7 moms liked this

Quoting sheramom4:

How old is your daughter? If she is heading into adulthood I don't see mcuh of a problem beyond continuing to harass someone over it. Instead she should have said something, taken down the plate and reported it. 

If she is younger (under 16) she needs to be more aware of safety issues and not approach someone like that. 

DD will be 17 in about a month. 

Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM
30 moms liked this
Ungrateful? For what? Was she suppose to be grateful an able person was feeling lazy???
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM
20 moms liked this
Nope. I think she did the right thing. It's ironic the pregnant woman called your dd the very things she [pregnant woman] is.
Mom2Phoenix2011
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM
40 moms liked this
Being pregnant is not a disability. Your daughter was absolutely right . People parking in disabled spots with out proper tags is a huge pet peeve of mine. I regularly ask people if they forgot to put it up, we would not want them to get a ticket. It usually embarrasses them and they leave.
Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM
2 moms liked this

How old is she?  Even if she has valid points, most adults aren't going to take that from a kid or a teen.  Certain messages are just going to fall flat if delivered from a young person with an attitude.  It's just not effective.  I also think it's best for people, regardless of age, to mind their own business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM
24 moms liked this
People need to mind their own fucking business. Seriously.
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM
35 moms liked this

your kid kind of rocks.

Hilary799
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM
16 moms liked this
Your daughter did what she thought was right. Good for her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)