Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

moms who adopted

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
How long did it take you to get matched? I want a domestic girl infant, any race.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Bump
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Apr. 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM
I'll give you a bump, but we didn't go through an agency.
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:25 PM
We adopted Internationally, so I can't help...
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Mine was a known adoption, so no time.

It's not a build-a-baby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM

We adopted internationally, so my experience isn't really relevant.  We went to our first meeting in April, got a referral in early July and brought him home Thanksgiving weekend.

With domestic adoption, it is total luck -- I saw a show once where a couple waited 18 years.  Other people fill out their paperwork and a birthmother picks them right away, and they're parents sometimes just a couple weeks after they fill out their profile and all the paperwork.  

Girls are in higher demand than boys, though, so it's possible you might wait longer.  Let everyone you know know you want to adopt, with a link to a page that has info about you and a way to contact you.  You never know who knows someone who knows someone who might want to place a child.  

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Usually when adopting a newborn you can not specify gender.  We adopted internationally and for our second child were able to specify that we wanted a girl.

mamatink7
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:37 PM

good luck with that...rarely will you get to choose a baby for permanent placement (basically what last lady said, not build a baby workshop)

go to adoptuskids.org choose your state and your preferences

or you find your own agency and tell them your desires. generally fastest placements will be 10-15 ages or so. you can choose birth-2 or till 5 yrs old though and occasionally have luck

dont mean to downer, we have just done this entire process and got ours and the kids hearts broken. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:46 AM
We dont want to foster. We want to adopt. Many agencies allow you to pick gender

Quoting mamatink7:

good luck with that...rarely will you get to choose a baby for permanent placement (basically what last lady said, not build a baby workshop)

or you find your own agency and tell them your desires. generally fastest placements will be 10-15 ages or so. you can choose birth-2 or till 5 yrs old though and occasionally have luck

dont mean to downer, we have just done this entire process and got ours and the kids hearts broken. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:50 AM

You are clearly talking about adoption through the foster care system.  The OP was clearly talking about domestic private adoption.  I am surprised that you have actually been through the process and are involved in the adoption world and don't know the difference.

Also, of course you can express your preference for a girl over a boy.  It's just that a birthmother who relinquishes a boy or thinks she is relinquishing a boy would not likely pick someone who's expressed that preference.  And since there are more people who want girls than boys, that just has the potential to slow down the process by increasing the time for a match.  If it's that important to the potential adoptive parent, it's their perogative to state the preference.  

Quoting mamatink7:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:53 AM
6 months we had 3 matches in that time. Within 6 months of starting the process our baby was born and home. Although we had no preference on race, gender or medical. God gave us what he knew we needed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)