Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you move or am I overreacting?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM
  • 35 Replies

We moved in January. After almost 2 years of searching, we finally found a 5 bedroom house for rent in our price range that we loved. Awesome, right? Not! Shortly after moving in we realized we had mice. I thought maybe just one or two. Nope. We have been here 3 months now and we've caught FIVE mice.

They are small and cute... but I hate them. They seem to gravitate towards this one area. They only come out at night but they seem to stick to these main 2 cabinets and the drawers directly above them. What does that mean for me? That means I can't use those cabinets or drawers because those nasty little mice shit in them. Mice gross me out. I don't even want them touching my stuff or putting they're nasty little paws on it... let alone SHITTING in my kitchen drawers!

Every time we catch one and think "Maybe that was the last one..." Nope... here comes another! I told the landlord after we caught the first one. He just said "Oh, you'll have that in the winter." He said the same thing after we caught the second one and I told him. After the third, he said something about putting out poison if I wanted... but no. For one, I don't want the kids to get a hold of it. And two, I don't want the mice going to die at random places in my house and making it stink.

So yeah... I am fed up. I told DH I want to move. Enough is enough. I said if we have caught FIVE, lord knows how many more there are! He is more optimistic. He says we should just keep setting traps and we'll get rid of them eventually.

WWYD?

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM

No, I would not move over a few mice. 

rebeccarae
by Bec on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
If its in your expenses, hire someone to rid of them. If that's even possible.
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Call an exterminator. It's cheaper than moving especially if you would be breaking a lease.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:54 PM

When I moved into our new house we caught 5 the first week.  Landlord put some poison under the house.  He said that the mice eat it and get thirsty and go die somewhere else.  I can't really remember.  But the result was that I found no more mice in the house since, dead or alive.  

mjmorrison
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:54 PM

snap traps baited with peanut butter. we get them every fall when they are looking for heat.

Mom2five87
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:55 PM

What can they do to get rid of mice? I know they spray for bugs and stuff but Idk how they would get rid of mice... besides putting out poison and I'm not really a fan of that idea.

Quoting LAXmom21: Call an exterminator. It's cheaper than moving especially if you would be breaking a lease.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:55 PM

I lived in a mice infested apartment way too long once, so I'd so move.

b1the1change
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Will they do nothing about it?
Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Sticky traps are the best with a dab of peanut butter in the middle. I wouldn't move but I would call an exterminator and send him the bill
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:56 PM
2 moms liked this

You're overreacting. Get snap traps, no kill traps, or hire an exterminator. Not that big of a deal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)