Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Certifications or summer classes?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:09 PM
  • 39 Replies
My husband is going to school for Computer Science. He wants to take summer school to help get his degree sooner so he can get a better job. He's still 3 years out from his bachelor's. A year from his associates. I think getting certifications now will benefit him more than summer school. The majority of people I know in IT and technology fields making good money don't even have an associate's degree, but they have certifications. What say you?
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Bump
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Bump
CMay2CK
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM
My husband is an IT Executive. he said he will need both. Problem with certs is, you have to maintain them. They are only good for a year, some two. Might be better to hold off for now. Get them when he is closer to done. And he will need to figure out what area he wants to specialize in, to make sure he isn't waisting time on certs he doesn't need.
thetrollcat
by Meow on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM

um no certifications expire. Take summer classes

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM
He's chosen the field he wants. I'm not saying to not finish his degree, but if he can get SOME certifications he'll qualify for internships and entry level jobs NOW in that field that his current level of schooling doesn't fulfill. Or we continue on with low paying unstable jobs for another 3 years.

Quoting CMay2CK: My husband is an IT Executive. he said he will need both. Problem with certs is, you have to maintain them. They are only good for a year, some two. Might be better to hold off for now. Get them when he is closer to done. And he will need to figure out what area he wants to specialize in, to make sure he isn't waisting time on certs he doesn't need.
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM
I'm not saying to not finish his degree, but if he can get SOME certifications he'll qualify for internships and entry level jobs NOW in that field that his current level of schooling doesn't fulfill. Or we continue on with low paying unstable jobs for another 3 years.

Quoting thetrollcat:

thetrollcat
by Meow on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:51 PM

like I said, certifications expire. He will have to keep up with them. Something to think about it can be costly and time consuming.

All I know is, I took my chances and just focused on school. We made a lot of sacrifices. It paid off. I got a job before I even graduated. 

Quoting ColieO: I'm not saying to not finish his degree, but if he can get SOME certifications he'll qualify for internships and entry level jobs NOW in that field that his current level of schooling doesn't fulfill. Or we continue on with low paying unstable jobs for another 3 years.
Quoting thetrollcat:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Here you only need your associates to get a job in computer science. Of course a bachelor's is always better but just saying. My friends husband just finished his associates for computer science and found a job making $20 an hour and that is entry level so it's pretty awesome for them.

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:55 PM
And school isn't costly? Lol. We're having to borrow money just to pay for two summer classes. $2k each. That's more than one normal semester for 6 classes. The certification is cheaper with a bigger payoff both now and in the long run. He's currently working part time and I'm out of work. We won't have enough to pay our bills by the end of the summer if I don't find a job.

Quoting thetrollcat:

like I said, certifications expire. He will have to keep up with them. Something to think about it can be costly and time consuming.

All I know is, I took my chances and just focused on school. We made a lot of sacrifices. It paid off. I got a job before I even graduated. 

Quoting ColieO: I'm not saying to not finish his degree, but if he can get SOME certifications he'll qualify for internships and entry level jobs NOW in that field that his current level of schooling doesn't fulfill. Or we continue on with low paying unstable jobs for another 3 years.

Quoting thetrollcat:

thetrollcat
by Meow on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:56 PM

I dont think you understand what I meant. Certifications cost money to keep them up. They are not cheap. But hey you have your mind made up. Why are you asking us?

Quoting ColieO: And school isn't costly? Lol. We're having to borrow money just to pay for two summer classes. $2k each. That's more than one normal semester for 6 classes. The certification is cheaper with a bigger payoff both now and in the long run. He's currently working part time and I'm out of work. We won't have enough to pay our bills by the end of the summer if I don't find a job.
Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)